Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How do I cultivate stuff on live rocks?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)22:57    Post subject: How do I cultivate stuff on live rocks? Reply with quote

my uncle gave me his tank.. it was 50 gallons.. and I want to Cultivate those pretty feather duster those colorfull stuff.. How do I do it from just Live rock without those things on it.??? I was thinking of stocking my new tank about 20 pounds of live rock.. One HUGE Lion Fish and one Tang.. OR butterfly. Help me out.. I really want to cultivate some Mad STuff IN my TANK.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you want to take some critters from your uncles tank and get them in yours? If so take a piece of rock from the tank and add to yours small feather dusters spread pretty quick. But get your tank cycled and going first. Have you read up on anything to start a sw tank if not its a good idea. You could keep a lion in that tank but watch compatability lions will eat anything they can fit in there mouth. Also butterflies are not a good beginner fish along with many tangs. Tangs need at least 55 and thats only about 2-3 species. Where other species need at least 75 gall or more.

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm so what I do is just add more live rock near feather duster ??? and it will spread to other rock?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I did I got some rock with just a couple small dusters on then they were all over my tank after a while, also with the spagetti worms 1 or 2 then boom all over. when my engineer gobies dig the sand out it looks like trees standing in the bottom of the tank with spaghetti worms. When I started the tank and got the detrivore kit it had 4 mini stars now I probably have 400. You would be surprised how much they spread.

heres some pics I started with just a couple
http://groups.msn.com/karlas/tankpics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=88

http://groups.msn.com/karlas/tankpics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=10
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive... did you buy those rock with feather duster in them??? or did you buy the feather duster seperately then leave them near the rock then they stick to the rock?? I am all confused about how to get those feather duster to stick to rocks and such.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.17(Fri)1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the rock I bought had them on there it was fully cured lr and full of critters. It took just one rock with them and they spread all over the place. You can try and place a feather duster but it will move to where it wants. I have one big hawaiian I tried placing him but he moved behind some of the rock and planted him self but he seems happy there. If it gets picked on by someting, doesn't like the light, current or anything else they will move by themselves. I've seen them come out of there tube move and build a new one, or pop there feathers and move the tube with them. Also some prefer the sand not the rock just let them pick where they want to go.
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.17(Fri)18:06    Post subject: detrivores Reply with quote

From where did you buy your detrivore kit? Is there any risk in having too many detrivores?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.18(Sat)5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think theres any harm in to many critters at some point there populations should level out. I got mine from inland aquatics http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_detrit.html there is another place a lot of people order from its ipsf http://www.ipsf.com/
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: