Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking of getting a goldie
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)14:05    Post subject: Thinking of getting a goldie Reply with quote

OK I'm a dork here. I have an extra 15g tank that ius just dying for a fish. Originally I thought maybe a pair of rams and a school of tetras, but I've seen some really pretty fancy goldies and was wondering if one could be happy in this tank? Maybe with a school of 6 WCMM. Water changes will have to be heavy and I'll probably put in an air stone for added oxygen. I adore goldies but never really had a tank to keep em in. If a 15 won't work I'll probably turn it into a vivarium for a small water turtle or amphibian.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a water turtle....it would work as a temp home, but even the smaller water turtles would need upwards of a pond to be happy when full grown.

Not at all going to mention red-eared sliders either....

Myself, I think some firebelly newts would be great. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of rams would be okay, if water quality was kept really good. Also it woud need lots of plants (plastic or real) and hiding places. Then you could keep them with a school of say 6 neons.

I would say no goldfish...they grow too big and they make a LOT of waste.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know they make a lot of waste. I don't really care about that aspect. I've got a filter and everything else to go in the tank. Plus my waterchange schedule is 1/3 to 3/4 of the tank size depending on the size of the tank. I was under the impression that one fancy goldie can do fine in a 15g since they only get about 6-8 inches tall and wide respectively. Plus, most people on this site recommend at least a 10g for each fancy goldfish. I don't want comets or koi which are long bodied and really only belong in a pond. Oh well I guess I was wrong.
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress, Go out and buy yourself the goldie you want ! And in a year or so, move him into a new larger tank if he/she has outgrown the old one. Sounds to me like you have no problems with waterchanges so maintenace won't be an issue.

Then you'll have an empty 15g to use all over again!

I've got a poop load of fantails coming inside this week as the weather is chilling down. How many and what color do you want?

A.C.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a 15 gallon is tad small for goldfish. While its true that you could put 4 in a 40 gallon and so on, I don't think that the the rule means 1 per ten gallons.

I remember seeing a rule on min tank size overall, but I forgot the exact number.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be OK for quite a while. In 5 years or so, you might need to bump it up a little, but if you start with a small one, you'd be fine.
Go for it, if you want to.
Warning: goldies can be very addicitve.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: