Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
first time tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar12
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)1:37    Post subject: first time tank Reply with quote

I'm setting up a 6ft tank for my fist tank is this wise Question on how mch live rock would I need for a nice looking tank but not to go over board on please can any one lrt me now thanks
MotoHead
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 ft tank = how many gallons?
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus is between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank capacity. Live rock is not just for looks. It helps to filter the water. Live sand is also used to filter the water. There is a miriad of reasons for using both other than looks.

Having said that I have found it useful to start with only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the total amount of live rock you plan on adding to the tank. Then add little bits here and there over time (no more than 5 to 10 lbs at at time). If you are planning a reef aquarium most of your corals will come attached to a small piece of rock and if you have filled your tank to capacity you'll have a hard time finding places for additions in the future.
oscar12
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)2:42    Post subject: my first tank Reply with quote

6ft tank =108 gallons
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a little big for a starter tank, Cool but as they say , bigger is better.

108 gallons UK is how many liters, how many US gallons?

I hope you are well prepared financially to support this bad boy Wink
Between the rock, filtration and lighting, you will drop more then a few pounds. Good luck and keep us posted with the progress.

Waffleman
oscar12
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

its 440 lter so idont now about us gallons. and all so with live sand do I just have this or do I put something else with it . when I have cured my live rock do I just put the live sand then let that cure it self Embarassed
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you cycling your tank with the lr? If so you can add your live sand afterward that is what I did. I got the rock where I wanted it on the bottom then worked the sand around it. This works really well especially if you are planning on any type of burrowing fish. It helps make sure your rock is secure enough for there digging.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Gallons are just less than 4 liters. It's close enough that I just use a 4 to 1 most of the time.

When I set up my 150 gallon (about 600 Liters) I put in about half of the substrate I needed (it was dry,) then the live rock. A couple weeks later I added the other half of the substrate using live sand.

Not all of you substrate has to be "live" sand as the part that is "live" will "seed" the rest and over time it will all be "live."
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: