Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
saltwater
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar12
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)0:58    Post subject: saltwater Reply with quote

I'm setting up a saltwater tank up for living rock do I need a skimmer for curing with or not Question
arsenal
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimmers do have their benefits they keep your nitrates lower, water a little clearer and they remove a lot of gunk from the tank. But it is very well possible to have a sucessful tank without a skimmer. If your tank is already established its best to cure the rock in another tank or a plastic container, since the die off from the rock is going to cause a spike. If the tank isnt established then it will jump start the cycling process of the tank.
oscar12
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that but in the middle ov moveing at the min but cannot wait to get things going I have a fish list in mind can you tell me what you think
1 lionfish
1 picasso triggerfish
1 yellow tang
1 emperor angelfish
2 common clown
how am I diong do you think is this a right choice ov fish Idea
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.18(Sat)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the lionfish is small he will eventually grow big enough to eat a clownfish and possibly some of the others such as the yellow tang. Lionfish will eat anything that is small enough to fit in it's mouth.

Also if your planning a reef keep in mind that Triggerfish can be very hard on a reef as well as the larger Angelfish.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.31(Fri)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the clown would eventually become fish food. What size is this tank? Those type of fish need a large tank. As far as the lr it can be cycled without the skimmer since after the cycle with the rock you start doing your water changes anyway.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.03(Mon)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough and though I don't recommend trying this unless you want to use your small fish as food, my mother recently bought a 150 gallon tank from a friend and it came with a fairly large Lion Fish. His tankmates are a very large Yellow Tang, a fairly large Yellow Stripped Maroon Clownfish and two very small Yellow Damsels. How the Damsels avoid being food is beyond me, but the friend has had them all in the same tank for over 6 months now. The Lion doesn't even seem interested in them as food. I guess we'll keep and eye on them all and see what happens. Maybe keeping the Lion constantly fed with other food helps.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: