Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone raise brine shrimp?? help me please
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.10(Fri)2:29    Post subject: Anyone raise brine shrimp?? help me please Reply with quote

I've been trying to raise brine shrimp for my scooter and my mandarin but these shrimps die so fast. How do I keep those shrimp alive? How much eggs should I use? how much phyto should I feed them?? Oh and lastly.. how do I get the brine shrimp and feed it to my fish.. I have a lot of trouble scooping those shirmp out with a spoon and all I get it salt water and barely any shrimps.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.10(Fri)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not rasied them for a salt tank, so I can't help you there.

What I do know, is there are brineshrimp nets, they have very fine holes in them to catch the shrimp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some notes on my experience hatching brine shrimp:

There are many styles of hatcheries that you can buy from your LFS, but I have never used any of them so I don't know much about them.

I have always hatched brine shrimp in 1 gallon Ice Cream buckets. I fill the bucket 1/2 full of water, mix in the proper amount of salt according to the directions on the package of shrimp "eggs", put the bucket under a light source (I use a desk lamp with a 60-100 watt bulb), and put in a small airstone to keep the water moving. After about 24 to 36 hours the shrimp will hatch. I have never raised them to adult size since they are easy to hatch and I've read many times that baby brine shrimp are more nutritious for your fish anyway. To catch them I remove the airstone, then move the light source from the over the bucket to one side of the bucket and wait about 5 minutes. The brine shrimp will migrate to that side of the bucket. Then either use a net with a fine mesh or scoop them out with a small cup and strain them through a piece of cloth.

Hope this helps.

Just a fun note. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and a few weeks ago just for fun we went to the Great Salt Lake and netted some brine shrimp for our fish. Hey, this big dead lake has to be good for something, right?!?
Tetralover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.27(Thu)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I hatch brine shrimp, it's easy and it works.

Get one of those betta 1/2 gallon bowels. Mix the salt, water and eggs (I use only about 1/2 the amount of eggs that are on the package directions). Stick in an airstone with a light bulb above (I use a 150 watt and it gets them real warm).

In about 36 hours you will have brine shrimp. I turn off the airstone and light bulb and place a flashlight on one side of the bowl. Wait about 15 minutes and the brine shrimp will all be on the side where the flashlight is shining in. I take a Turkey Baster (from Wal-mart kitchen gadget section) and stick it right where the shrimp are and suck them out and then turkey baste them right in a brine shrimp net, rinse with fresh water and I have more than enough for my fish. It works and it's inexpensive!
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.28(Fri)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could raise brine shrimp now but they are so small.. how do I grow them larger to feed it to my valentiny puffer fish?? I want to raise them as big as the store has it.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.11.28(Fri)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you want to grow out shrimp to adult size.

Do a search on google like "growing brine shimp" and it'll turn up lots of results.

You need a constant drip feed for growing on shrimp, It is a pain, I I rarely succeed more than 3 weeks before crash. Shrimp only have a limited life anyway, and unless you let them have live young or get eggs,(depends upon food availability and saline conditions) then the solution will crash after a few weeks as norm.
You also have to carry out water changes, to stop ammonia build up.

Food can be algae, yeasts etc. anything more natural the better.

You would be better off getting a culture of white worms, they are more sustainable, cleaner, and loads more, and extremely cheap. You only feed em ready-brek (porridge)
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. what is drip feed??
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than putting a lot of food in for the shrimp to eat at once, and possibly go off, or pollute water.

Water is dripped in already premixed food. It is dripped in via a airline/ regulator valve for the shrimps only to eat what drips in.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: