Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Reef and Fish Tank ????
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.09(Thu)21:29    Post subject: Reef and Fish Tank ???? Reply with quote

Tell me if you guys have any idea about this...

I have a 10 gallon tank, stocked with 7 pounds of life rocks, and one anemony for my clown fish. I have about 7 fishes: 3 damsels, one clown, one blenny scooter, one green mandarin, and one firefish. Am I doing things right? cause I feel like there is something wrong about my tank. If anyone has any suggestion I am happy to hear it. Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.10.09(Thu)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yeah.....there is something wrong with that tank.

Hideously overstocked doesn't even cover it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.10(Fri)1:06    Post subject: What can I do with my tank?? Reply with quote

WHat can I do with my tank since it is over stock? buy a new tank? 20 gallon is good enough? I have a general question.. what temp should I keep my tank??? will the fish stress when over stock? what are the symtom??? I have a lot of places to hide in my tank if that helps.. will it?? how can I solve the problem?? thank you
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.10(Fri)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great googilly-moogilly, what a mess!

You've got about 50 gallons' worth of critters in a ten gallon tank.
No, a 20 won't be enough, but if you spread the load between the two tanks you might be okay with a LOT of extra maintenance. Not good, but manageable.

It's starting to look pretty obvious that you need to switch petshops. The one you shop currently is giving you very bad service.

The next thing to do is to buy, and READ, a few good books on the subject. They'll save you a lot of hassle and money.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darthvadersmom, how long has you tank been set-up? I would agree with Old Salt your LFS hasn't been helping you much with this.

Aside from being overstocked I'm particularly worried about your Green Mandarin. They eat copepods and amphopods almost exclusivly. These are the little "bugs" that live in, around and on live rock and live sand. Some can be coaxed into eating other foods like brine shrimp, but not all. In such a small tank a Mandarin could hunt down all the "bugs" and be left with nothing to eat in a relatively short time. The usual advice is put it in at least a 30 gallon tank that has been up and running at least 6 months.
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)14:34    Post subject: Uh OH I am in trouble for realsss Reply with quote

My tank is about 1 month and 2 weeks old... the mandarin doesn't really cover that much ground.. it stays on this little corner with this live rock that has about 3 holes in it... will it run out of pod to eat? is there some type of live pod that I can buy to add to the tank??? OH and my scooter blenny has a big head.. what is wrong with him?? when I first bought him.. he was fine.. looks porportional.. and now his head grew...or sumthing like that.. is that a disease?? or did he got skinny??
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got skinny. Scooters are not blennies, but Dragonets, just like Mandarins, and they eat the same stuff. To put two dragonets into a tank only one-fourth the size needed to maintain ONE is, well, not a good thing. Now both of them are starving to death.

EDIT: Sory about that. I didn't even realize that I had actually TYPED that until I got a PM about it. I was thinking it, and my fingers must have been on automatic. Frankly, if you must know, I reeeaally had to go to the bathroom and was in a distracted hurry to send the post before it got "invalid session"-ated.
Still, this does underscore the need to read books before buying fish.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that some LFS sell Copepods to feed your fish, but I've never looked into it. You could ask, but I still think you should find a larger home for your Mandarine and your Scooter.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: