Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pterosynchiropus splendidus, Green Mandarin .. HELP ME..
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.08(Wed)19:33    Post subject: Pterosynchiropus splendidus, Green Mandarin .. HELP ME.. Reply with quote

I just recently bought this green mandarin fish for my gf because she loves the way it look. Normally I do research before I buy a fish, but not this time. The fish WON"T EAT NOR MOVE. IT stays in the corner of my tank near the BIggest coral piece I have. It has been about 3 days. =(. I don't know what to do. Will it die? how do I get it to come out? what do I feed it? I heard that it eats brine shrimp but it is impossible to feed it brine shrimp since all my other fishes always get to it first even before the mandarine fish moves.

Someone please help me.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.09(Thu)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a problem.
Mandarins may eat brineshrimp sometimes, but they really only like amphipods and copepods.
To get enough 'pods to feed a mandarin, you have to have lots of live rock in the tank. It generally takes about a 40 gallon tank's worth of reef setup to support a single mandarin, although supplemental feeding helps.
So, if your fish won't eat brineshrimp, here's what you do:
Go back to the petshop and complain hat you were sold a fish that won't eat without being warned. Next, go to all the petshops around and find out when new fish day is. Go to those stores when they get new fish, and ask them to give you the live rock shakings.
What are those? When a box of rocks come in, hundreds of tiny little critters fall out of the rock and wind up on the wet newspaper in which it is packed. If you take these critters and put them in your tank every week, your mandarin will have plenty to eat. Put them in a turkey baster and squirt them right at the mandarin. Also try brineshrimps, but don't expect much luck with those.
Alternately, you could fill your tank with hundreds of dollars worth of fresh live rock.
Alternately, you could order cultured critters from some biolab.
Alternately, you could set up a smaller tank just for the mandarin.
Alternately, you could just take the mandarin back to the store, and learn your lesson about researching before you buy.
spkspk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)22:33    Post subject: another solution for mandarin feeding Reply with quote

With all those alternates, another does exist, but it may be a bit late for your mandarin. You can set up a refugium that you can hook up to the back/side of your tank. I have set up an 18" refugium with its own light source on my 72 gallon tank. My fish store gave me some live sand and I bought some macro algae. I waited a couple of months for a healthy population of copepods to form before I bought my mandarin. It also helps that my mandarin does eat some of the frozen brine shrimp that gets down to its level. The jury is still out on whether or not this will work.

One advantage of the refugium with the macroalgae is that I saw almost all of my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels drop off to zero since it uses nitrates to grow. You will need to add an iron supplement once a week to the refugium as directed on the bottle. You will also need to feed the copepods with flake food (once or twice a week).

One disadvantage of the refugium with the macroalgae is that any fish in your primary tank that is dependent on algaes as a food source (like an algae blenny) will have to have its diet supplemented with dried algae since there won't be any algae forming in your primary tank. It will also mean slim pickings for your turbo snails/cowries and you may loose some of them.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mandarins take to prepared foods but most don't. I got lucky with mine he takes brine shrimp and blood worms. I've also heard of what they call pod piles work. Take small pieces of lr the "crumbs" and make small piles in the corners and the back of the tank. This also allows a safe spot for pods to hide and reproduce, to make food for your mandarin. If he does take to frozen foods you can do what I do with a turkey baster. Feed the fish on one side of the tank then shoot food twd the bottom where the mandarin sits. Most of my fish the faster ones automatically come to the right side of the tank and as there eating my mandarin and firefish wait to the left of the tank for there food they learn where they get fed at.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: