Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
live rock stocking....help
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotoHead
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.03(Fri)21:32    Post subject: live rock stocking....help Reply with quote

I have a 55 gal tank.it has one yellow tang,one peppermint shrimp and one fire shrimp.got about 7 lbs live rock in there now.tank is fairly new,about 3 months max.I need and want more rock.my question is if I do put more live rock in there,is it going to spike any levels,amm,nit,nitrates etc?will it cause the tank to cycle again?will it harm the fish and shrimp?should I add it in doses?if so how much?also,anyone know where to order some strip lights 48 inches long?I got one on there but need one more I guess to support rock.thank you guys for any responses.
dvr16
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.05(Sun)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright a few things first. putting live rock as far as I know into an already established aqarium depending on how fresh the rock is will spike some of the levels. there is a good article on how to cure the rock before placing it into a live aquarium on www.drsfostersmith.com also on this website they sell compact flourescent lighting for a decent price. I've ordered stuff from them in the past and it has been excellent so I highly recomend it. need anything else just post again
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding rock depends on where you get it. If you get it fresh and cured locally where you can take it right home you can put it in an established tank. If you get uncured or even cured over the internet where it is shipped you should cure it in a seperate container before adding to a tank with critters. Uncured lr or rock with die off can cause an ammonia spike in and already established tank. Your can do this in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead and heater. If its fully cured you can put it in the tank I did this with about 30 lb or so but it was fresh with no effects. The light really doesn't matter when it comes to lr or fish, the upgraded lighting is mainly for corals.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: