Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
protein skimmer for 20 gallon
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pictus77
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.28(Sun)12:34    Post subject: protein skimmer for 20 gallon Reply with quote

any recommendations for a decent protein skimmer for a 20 gallon reef tank?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent protein skimmer depends on what you want to spend. There is such a range for them you can get under 100 into several hundreds of dollars. For a good lower price one the prizms work well for the price and one of the best cheaper types. But for upper end the remora and remora pros are really good also.
Rmcm2424
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.30(Sun)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a protein skimmer is absolutley necessary for a 20 gallon tank? I haven't had one on mine yet and it has been running great for 2 years, but whatever you want. I have been thinking of getting one though, I also looked at Skilters, which I know aren't the greatest but will probably work well for the smaller tank.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually with a small tank you can get away without a skimmer but you would need to keep up on regular water changes. I ran a 39 gall for a year and a half with no skimmer but I did a 10% change a week and it helped a lot.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.06(Sat)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on Karlas. if you want a not to expensive skimmer get a prizm. before I added a prizm skimmer to my 32g I was in a full out war on hair algae. once I had installed it I just litteraly won the war. great little gadget. I have also seen a 20g do well with a small refugium. but with regular water changes you should be fine without one.
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: