Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
winterizing a pond
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.28(Sun)12:17    Post subject: winterizing a pond Reply with quote

hi! this is my first year with a pond...it is smaller 180 gallons I have about 10 goldfish and a koi,all smaller, in it and some frogs who decided to hop on in Cool but anyway I live in wisconsin and it is starting to get a little cold soon I have a feeling it will be freezing. I was wondering what I sould do to winterize the pond...

I have lilypads bull rush and some other native plants to wisconsin(I bought the lily pads it is illegal to take from the wild) so first what should I do with the plants.

than the fish, I do not have an extra aquarium to use so I was wondering what I should do with those?

well anyway thanks for your help
wethead
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.28(Sun)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pond isn't at least 18" below your frost line, I'm afraid your pond will freeze solid over the winter.
Here in S.E. Pa. my frost line is 18" & that means it's possable the ground will freeze that deep over the winter. My pond is 42" deep.
I live in zone 6, & all tropical plants will die over the winter in my zone. They mostly come from zone 8 or higher, all plant nurserys will tell you what the plants zones are.
Hardy plants will die too if they freeze solid. I have to lower my plants down below the water line at least a ft.
The same thing will happen to your fish. I keep a small opening on the water surface all winter for gas exchange to let the bad gasses out.
Sorry if this is all bad news for you...Rich
lemonblazer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.29(Mon)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pond but aren't there heaters for koi ponds, made just for this purpose of preparing for the winter ?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.29(Mon)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably referring to a De icer....which can be used ot keep a hole in the ice during the winter, so the fish can get oxygen.

BTW, isn't 180 gallons a little small for koi?
jimbo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.30(Tue)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have 1 koi and I am upgrading in the next 2 summers...whenever I find time... but should I heat or do a complete cleaning water out and everything?

also the plants....what should I do with those?!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: