Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29gal Setup
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)22:27    Post subject: 29gal Setup Reply with quote

Hey guys I was just wondering if you guys had any oppinion on this setup that I'm gona put on a 29gal FO tank.. H.O.T magnum hang-on canister filter #60, MAXI powerhead with 160 gph, then maybe 15 lbs of live rock, then I was thinkin if a UG filter would work well also? Then I already have the heater, thermometer, ect. Tell me what you think Very Happy
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not have a FO if you have live rock. This will need the appropriate lighting set-up as well. The magnum is an o.k. choice although not my favorite. I would go wet/dry with an ebo-jager 250 watt in the sump and a protien skimmer also. I would put a small power head inside the tank also for circulation. What fish will you be keeping? Shy away from the UG filter as these tend to accumulate a high nitrate load also.
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but what would I keepin in there as rock besides live stuff? and I was just plannin on keeping a pair of clowns, a damsel and then maybe something else (whatever my LFS has in stock) then about 10 turbo nails, 6 blue-hermit crabs, maybe an emerald crab if I can get one, then 2 cleaner shrimp
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

And does anyone know of any good site that show good DIY wet/dry filter plans?
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah lace rock is very nice in a salt tank...bleached (dead) coral is a nice decor...try some of the plastic imposters, they look real (some) and you don't have to feel guilty aboit reef deterioration. An invert tank isnt much more expensive eqiupment wise as its just a bit more lighting if you use a wet/dry and protien skimmer already. There is many links to building a wet/dry and cheap lighting in the DIY section of the forum. And then you can have live rock and coral...plus your shrimp will feel more at home. Check out the bio filter that utilizes caulerpa in it.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still have a fo tank and have lr its a FOWLR. It is considered a reef when you get into corals. The lr actually acts as a natural filter for the tank along with a sand bed. Actually that is the ;best way to go because it can always be switched over later to a reef tank very easily. The ugf isnt really the best choice for saltwater it. It is being considerd as the old way but had been found to become a nitrate factory which is being replaced by a sand bed. Also with the lr it self you don't need the special lighting the only effect it has on lr is the color of your corraline alge. With the higer intense lighting is when you get your pinks and purples where with lower lighting you can get colors like greens, blues, burgandys and so on. As far as the critters most of them come out at night like pods, worms, chitons, crabs. Where the lighting counts the most is when you get into corals.

You can easily use the lace rock as a base and if you want seed it with some lr. The life on the rock will eventually take over all the rock. That is one way to get affordable lr. Your plan for fish doesn't sound to bad but I would stick with maby 3 of the fish and drop the 4th. The clowns would be great they would go good with a small blenny or goby of some type. If you decide to get the damsel add him last they can get quite nasty to any new fish after a territory is established.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: