Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bangaii cardinal fish
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaokoi
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.24(Wed)6:30    Post subject: Bangaii cardinal fish Reply with quote

Dear all,
I have tried to keep fish of this spp in a tank of 800 lts with awfull results, 4 months ago I bought 17 fish and they died in a month after being realised in the tank. Last week I put 11 fish and by today 4 have pass away, the problem is that I heve read everywhere that they are very easy fish to keep, any one could give me any idea about whats going on with them?
Cheers Shocked
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.24(Wed)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may sound funny or ignorant, but are you feeding them?
I think I killed my clown fish by underfeeding them Sad . All the parameters in the tank were AOK, the KH was on the low side. You could check that.
What are your parameters anyway? temperature, salinity etc...

What do the fish look like when they die? skinny, fuzzy, swollen, full of white specs? Without that, it will be very hard to make any kind of diagnosys.

HTH
Waffleman
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions for you. How old is this tank set up? Has it completely cycled yet? How many of the fish are your adding at one time? And what waffleman asked what are all your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, and salinity? How much circulation do you have in your tank?

answers to these can give us a good start to figure out where to look
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.08(Wed)3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banggais are lagoon fish, not reef fish, and that really does make a difference.

First of all, Banggais fight.
They fight a lot. In fact, it's a safe bet that a great many of your losses were due to injuries/infections/stresses brought about by combat.

Next, they don't like a lot of surge. They like calmer waters. Not slow, waters, though.

They like their water a bit more aged/seasoned than reef fish, too. Let the tank get that "lived-in" quality and the fish will perk up nicely.

Finally, get some longspined urchins or make some fake ones out of...something. Banggais spend most of their time in the wild hiding among the spines.

So, for success with Banggais:
A-- Fewer fish!!!
B-- Dirtier water (but not too bad)
C-- Hiding places/urchins
D-- slow water movement in some zones in the tank.

Coarser substrate helps too, like livesand and puka shell mix.

While you're at it, make sure they're eating as wide a diet as you can give them. Live brine, blackworms, scuds, amphipods, etc...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: