Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Koi pond and questions
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)22:05    Post subject: Koi pond and questions Reply with quote

Earlier this year my family bought a holiday house, and along with it a koi pond. Since I am the aquarist the job of looking after this koi pond has been deligated to me. It is (I am guessing) about 5000L. The inhabitants are a variety of koi (from a local pond clean up...the past owners told us) and some fancy (or long finned) goldfish. The plants are (I think) elodea, water hycathia and some sort of reed.

Recently we had a heron which stoped by our pond...our prize gold koi is missing (*sniff*) and several koi evidently have 'holes' as my mother buts it (I haven't been up recently).
There is one koi which is in need of help, when we bought the house I noticed him and named it humpback because its head was extremely weirdly shaped. As if his head is hollow or massively humped. Evidently his head has started 'caving in', this just dosen't sound right. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what should be done?

Also in reference to the filteration, the pond has a 'biopond', water is pumped to it and then flows upwards through a DIY filter (onion bags we were told) to filter out debris and so on. Is this a good system?
Should we get a UV sterliaisation thing? To deal with algae so it stops clogging pumps?

What sort of plants would you recomeend for a pond, to give the koi some coverage?

Thank you very much
~ a newish koi fan~
wethead
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.25(Thu)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV's only take out suspended algae in the water. Is your water actually green with algae or is it clinging to everything.
Plain old cotton batting, put under the water flow so it passes through it would be a big help for algae & debris removal.
I think some sort of water motion is called for too so the fish have enough oxygen.
A water pump & fountain kit could be installed With a split off for a water fall ( more flowing water ) & help with all your problems.
I'm including a few pond sites that might help too.
Rich

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds

http://watergardening.infopop.net
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.25(Thu)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we actually have a waterfall (from the biopond back into the main pond) and another fountian/waterfal on the other side of the pond.

The water isn't green and the only algae which survives the koi is in the biopond, however our pump keeps getting clogged from (what my mom believes) is bits of algae, or it could be debris like plant roots or something.

I was wondering about the koi I descriped above, with the collapsing head...does anyone know what this could be or mean?

Thanks
Kylie
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: