Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae control
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Algae control Reply with quote

Hey guys.

One of my tanks is suffering some algae problems. It's mostly some brush algae on tenellus swords, cabomba, red rubin, ozelot and amazon swords, and ludwigia; along with green spot algae on some of the same plants. It doesn't seem to be threatening them, it's just rather unsightly. The SAE's aren't really doing much to control it, and various changes in light, co2, and ferts haven't done much.

Tank stats~
55g heavily planted with above plants, cork vals, tape grass, java moss, and anacharis
pH - 6.6-6.8
gh - 7-8
KH - 9
temp - 78-80f
Light - 120w
co2 - DIY (2 liter)
ferts - Tropica Master Grow (5ml a week)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

There are certainly some issues that seem to glare out at me. Your pH of 6.6 to 6.8 would indicate that combined with your 9dKH you have CO2 levels between 43 to 68ppm...that wouldn't be possible with DIY yeast on a 55G. When someone mentions DIY yeast CO2 and brush algae my first inclination is a lack of CO2. Keeping stable CO2 levels using DIY yeast on a 55G tank is a very difficult task. While I feel pretty confident that CO2 levels being low are the culprit I'm not sure how we are going to establish what your actual CO2 levels are. In addition, it would be helpful if you could post a current NO3 (nitrate) test result. Is the only fertilizer the DIY yeast and the TMG?

BTW, green spot is sort of the one you have to learn to live with in small amounts.

Also, what is your water changing schedule...frequency and amount?

Cheers,
Steve
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.

The reading I gave in my first post were from a few weeks ago, so I just retested. These are the readings:
pH - 6.4
KH - 8
nitrate - 20ppm

Co2 and TMG are the only ferts I've been using, and I just hooked up the co2 again about 4 days ago after seeing how the plants would do. Substrate is a 1.5 in. layer of flourite with a 1.5 in. layer of regular gravel on top. Maybe it isn't brush algae, but it has a similar appearance to the stuff pictured on Ghazanfar Ghori's algae post on the AB boards (on the stuff that looks like dwarf sag or tenellus swords). I change 25% of the water every 10 days.

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.xx?a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=8796060812&m=325608022

EDIT: I couldn't get the link to work, but you probably know which post I'm talking about, Steve.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: