Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
50 Gallon Amazon Tank
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)11:46    Post subject: 50 Gallon Amazon Tank Reply with quote

Hi all!
I finally got my tank, lighting, filters, etc.. to start a 50 gallon planted tank. In this tank I have a Eheim 2224 filter, a PC 96 watt 6700K flourecent, and a 50/50 gravel with flourite mixture for the bottom inch of gravel. I really like the amazon setup they have on this site, and I was looking to making my 50 gallon look very similar. I assume that 2wpg would be sufficent to run a tank like that. Is there anything I should look out for in starting a tank like this? Any specific plants I should get or shouldnt get ( not enough light, substrate problems, etc..)? Since I live in Chicago, my water is quite hard (around 14-18 degrees depending a which test kit I use), is there any way to lower the water hardness? Do I have to use filtered store water to acheive a low GH? (Kinda expensive...)
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)13:05    Post subject: Re: 50 Gallon Amazon Tank Reply with quote

mlody wrote:
Since I live in Chicago, my water is quite hard (around 14-18 degrees depending a which test kit I use), is there any way to lower the water hardness? Do I have to use filtered store water to acheive a low GH? (Kinda expensive...)

No, your water is fine. There is no reason to attempt to lower water hardness for plants. There are some bright light plants that are very difficult to grow in hard water but they require more light than you have and are not commonly available. All the online plant retailers note the plants that do better in soft water. Having hard water eliminates the need, in 99% of the situations, to add calcium and/or magnesium supplements. Arguably the world's foremost aquatic plant expert Claus Christensen of Tropica made this statement at the AGA Conference last year "plants that are typically considered "soft water" plants are simply those that do a
reasonable job of surviving and growing in very soft water. These same plants, in rich hard water, grow MUCH better."

My water is moderately hard, GH of 12-14, and the only plant I've found to be really difficult is Didiplis diandra, though my problems may not even be related to hard water, others with hard water report success. My point is while some fish may require softer water for breeding, planted tanks and specifically plants do not require soft water.

For an easy to locate list of plants with your requirements go to the link below and click the button for "Light Requirements", then click low, medium low, and medium and make your choices from those species.

Plantgeek Database
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want south american plants or any kind of plants? I always recomend Anubuias. They come in various sizes, have tough leaves so the fish leave them alone. They grow quite slow but their slow groth rate is compensated by the fact that the leaves gets really old.

When I started my tanganyikan tank a month ago I experimented and put a few anubias in it. I didn't hope for much because the lightning is poor (the fish get to shy in bright light), there is no CO2 or fertilizer. But the plants dosent seem to care and are growing nicely.

And finally. Anubias will atatch to a piece of wood or rock if you tie it to it.

Sorry for any bad spelling and/or grammar. Embarassed
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mostly looking for South American plants since it will be an Amazonian tank, but I'm open to any suggestions and advise
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mlody,
Plants that would be suitable for a South American tank are:

Ceratophyllum submersum - Low/Moderate Light
Echinodorus amazonicus - Moderate Light
Echinodorus cordifolius - Moderate Light
Echinodorus parviflorus - Moderate Light
Echinodorus tenellus - Moderate Light
Vallisneria americana - Moderate Light
Heteranthera zosterifolia - Moderate/High Light
Cabomba caroliniana - Moderate/High Light
Echinodorus bleheri - Moderate/High Light
Echinodorus bolivianus - Moderate/High Light

So you could try some of the moderate light ones first and see how it goes, if they do well then try some higher light ones! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: