Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwtaylor
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.06(Thu)12:40    Post subject: redwag Reply with quote

I put my beta in my community tank two nights ago, and last night he got a little aggressive and ended up killing one of my red wags. I don't know if he was confused and thought he was a beta also or what, but it only took one strike and the red wag sank to the bottom fast, but then survived for about another hour moving sparingly.

Sad
jakeW
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.06(Thu)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that female bettas usually do fine in a larger community tank whilst male bettas do not fare as well.

The females don't have the same overly-long finnage that looks attractive to other species of fish, for one. Nothing is going to want to sample the female betta's fins.

Also, maybe it's just the personality of the bettas I had, but the females seem to play nicer than the males. I've kept female bettas with fancy guppies and everything, and they were totally fine. A male betta would probably see the colorful tails of the male guppies and think it was fight time.

I currently only have a female betta and some snails in a 5 gallon and a male betta in a 5 gallon. Both are filtered and full of live plants. My male is 4 or more years old. I would not keep them in anything taller than a ten gallon tank , because I don't like the idea of a betta having to swim as much as 2 feet or something to grab a breath.
shecho
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.08(Sat)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my betta in both a bowl and a tank. Currently he is in a 5 gal by himself (and his 'friend' in the mirror), but he has had guppy fry in there with him with no trouble at all - hes a good babysitter. He was in the 25 gal community tank, but somebody kept eating his tail so gave him his own home and he is quite contented.
Think it depends on the fish and where they are happiest.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with you both, it sounds as if you have worked out a happy medium for your fish . Well Done.
Many people just like the Betta for an ornament which is totally wrong.

Betta males and females are totally unpredictable. I have 12 adult males at the moment and even more females .
The males are all seperate but two of them do so much better and are happier in community tanks, when not breeding.

All my young males and females will get along fine in a couple of large tanks per spawn up until around 5 months of age with no fighting.

When putting a Betta into any community tank , watch it carefully for a good week or so , if it settles by then it should be fine always unless you add another variety of fish.

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Glenik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a male Betta and he resides in a 33 gal. I originally put hin in to cycle the tank along with 8 Zebra Danios. That was about 5 months ago. Since the 9 of them went in he does not bother the Zebras at all. 1 month or so after the tank was up and running with no problems I went and picked up a male and female Laetacara Curviceps (Flag Cichlids), and again no problems. Then added a Common Pleco and 2 Bronze Corys. Then added a Rubber lipped pleco. All has been well in the comunity with the Betta flaring his gills once and awhile at the Cichlids. Then my female Cichlid got sick for awhile and the Betta tried throwing his weight around alittle more with the Cichlids. My male Cichlid who has been an excellent husband decided that he wanted the Betta to stay away from his wife. Nothing terrible, just a little more assertive with the Betta so I began to keep an eye on things.

Then I began to have a stint with algae in the tank, mostly on my plants that were in there so after a talk with my local fish guy he recomended that I get a male and female Rosy Barb to take care of the algae.

Now I have always considered the Betta to be a mostly pugnatious sort of a fellow because he would always try to mix it up with the Cichlids. They are about twice his body size and don't dawn to much finnage if you know what I mean?

Well ! The Rosy barbs are alittle smaller than the Cichlids but alittle bigger than the Betta and they have long flowing tales on them both and I am happy to say that they seem to have put the Betta in his spot. He doesn't give anyone flack anymore and when the Barbs get alittle RAMMY at dinner, (mind you they are always alittle RAMMY) he finds himself a nice little cave by himself. lol

Now everyone gets along just fine.

As far as the bowl vs tank issue I feel that if he wants to play in current he can do so, and if he wants to stay where its calm thats also his decission and I think thats the way it should be.

All the attitude I have mentioned is on a small scale and I would recomend a Betta for a community tank.
pluto
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.05(Sat)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

would female bettas be compatible with a tiger barb or two? and what temperature range can they(bettas) handle? thanks for any help Very Happy
nwo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.10(Thu)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluto wrote:
would female bettas be compatible with a tiger barb or two? and what temperature range can they(bettas) handle? thanks for any help Very Happy

I'm no expert but from what I have heard tiger barbs can be aggressive and fin nippers... but again, I'm no expert..

my question is how would a betta go with a spiney eel or two???
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.11(Fri)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure everyone has a different opinion about everything to do with fishtanks ( including bettas), and I have a friend who has a betta in a 15 gallon tank with a angelfish and it has been there happily for 5-6 months now and it was in a bowl before and I think it prefers a tank and I think yours will too.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to: