Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumccaff
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)11:44    Post subject: have changed set up Reply with quote

I decided to put the betta in a separate tank (already cycled and read to go). It's similar to the 5 gal, but is a 4 gal I think. Light, planted, etc.

I have the three neon tetras in teh 5 gal on their own. Still too small for them? They seem to be skirting around just fine, but if it's too small, I'll take them back. I was thinking of adding 2 more tetras to teh pack (5 in a 5 gal), guess that would be unadvisable, hey?
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they seem happy than you could go for adding more but they tend to need more room to be honest as they dart around for small fish and like to ' travel a tank ' as I call it.

It is your call but it may be too small !!

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Cps
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.15(Fri)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have a community tank and I added my Betta yesterday...the problem is not the current as such, he has a lot of areas where he can get away from that etc...

But the problem is him! When I turn the pump on, he is persistant on going and swimming out in front of it, and it annoys me as they are not meant to like the current, so I cannot tell if he is playing around or being a jackass...secondly he just drifts into the filter, grate thing, he knows he will be sucked onto it and he just sits there and doesn't bother to move... any suggestions?

(I am worried to leave the pump on over night in case he dies!)
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.16(Sat)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPS , as I have said plenty of times , the Betta is a fish with a great personality, it seems as if you have one of these.

Bettas act differently with every one you have.

He wants to do this as it seems like fun and keeps his mind active.

I have a little betta I call ' Little Blue '
He kept getting over a divider ( when I used to use these ) and in the other half of the tank with the guppies. he loved the guppies and would swim around chasing them or with them !

I found he was getting through a tiny gap he had managed to push away from the tank side and I closed it.

He spent a full day barging away at that divider where I closed the hole to, to try and get back in with them, and it was so funny watching him think he was clever when I put him back on his side seeing him swim straight back to where he remembered his hole was and try and get back through.

Needless to say that he is in my fish room now happily blowing bubbles!

Do not worry about your Betta he is fine !! If he stops doing this and becomes inactive, then worry.

Cps
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.16(Sat)5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, I guess its also a good sign that the first thing he did in the tank was eat...I put some food in, he went right to it and started to hog it all from the other fish...hmm, I'll need to sort that!

Laughing
pluto
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)18:52    Post subject: sooo..... Reply with quote

from reading some of the posts about the bettas in bigger tanks I just thought I'd be sure of what I'm thinking of doing....Would I be able to put a betta in a 10g tank with 10 neontetras, 2 black neons, and 1 gup? There is a current(from the filter) but I have artificial drift wood I can put in one half of tank to help slow down the current, for him. Any tips would be great! thanks
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.24(Wed)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty , you may find the guppy will be chased by the Betta.

Some people complain of fin nipping with guppies and Bettas but this is if you have quite a few guppies with the male Betta.

You would need to have at least 2 guppie males together to keep them happy , 4 a better choice, and then the Betta may be in trouble.

Guppies and bettas are really a no go.
Tetras and Bettas can be a problem also as the tetras can fin nip the Betta.

Your best bet would be a couple of Corydoras they are fine with Bettas .I have some in with my male Betta in a 20 gal tank and they all look lovely together.

Cps
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.24(Wed)13:27    Post subject: My Betta Reply with quote

Hi, again...My Betta has been fine, his fins grew so much, he looked so cool (notic the 'looked' bit). I wake up one morning, his fins have been wrecked! Later on I see him chasing his own tail...whats going on? Crying or Very sad
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.25(Thu)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if he is a law unto himself.

Is there any aggression toward him from the tankmates and can you refresh my memory as to what they are and the tank size.

I have a Super Delta who is gorgeous and when I turn the lights off in the living room at night he can see himself in the tank front reflection and he continuously flares up at his reflection and bumps the front of the tank and also twirls around himself. he really is funny.

These fish have such a personality, he hates being in a tank alone and loves his communtiy tank ( 20 gal)

Cps
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.25(Thu)11:05    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

He is fine with the other tank members, although I have a suspicion he is the reason why two of my Tetras have died...but of their own mistake!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to: