Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)15:36    Post subject: FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No? Reply with quote

I was at the pet store today (now I have my neon tetra school up to 7) and I was about the get the exclispe 2 gallon tank with hood, filter, light, and everything. the person working there said they won't be any happier or survive longer in the tank rather a bowl. I held buying it to ask you guys. should I buy the tank? or should I keep my betta in the bowl he is currently in. I really love him, and want him to live a long, happy life.

Jane
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that bettas will live longer in a bowl because there is no current for them to worry about.

They feel continual "drag" from the current, and they have to fight it all the time, so in my own experiences with bettas, they have lived longer in still water, with the water being changed every few days.

I've had bettas in a 6g Eclipse and in 10g tanks, and in the 55g tank, and in the 29g tank.

They were OK, but very short-lived. They lived several months that way. The ones kept in large containers of still water lived 3 years.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me point out that by "bowl" Shawna means a bowl, probably a 1/2 gallon or more. In a tiny CUP I can almost promise you that they will have a seriously shortend life span.
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I know. I have him in at least a 1 gallon bowl. I'm not completly sure, but I know its at least a gallon. I will keep him in the bowl. he has been living for about 1 1/4 month.

Jane
PicOlio
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Betta hangs out in a 50 gallon aquarium and is doing fantastic. I could never recommend a bowl for a beta. Frequent water changes, no swim room, no tank mates -- what other fish gets treated like this on a regular basis? I often ask "Did you know the Beta is a fish?"

If you can, by all means give them some room to stretch out and some filtration that will limit the number of times you have to disturb them with water changes. They need a bit of "fish slime" just like the rest and as you know, if done correctly you can have other fish in with the beta as well.

I really think the Betas got a bit screwed in the fish world due to misconceptions. Fish shops simply want to sell "The Pretty Fish" and the poor Beta can get his fins nipped in the crowded LFS aquariums therefore ruining the sale. But at home in an uncrowded tank and with some cave dwellings he can do great Smile

The above is just my opinion of course...

If you can swing it, I'm betting you would like a 5 gallon more than the 2 gallon for the Beta but then again the two gallon may be able to fit on your desk Wink
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
Let me point out that by "bowl" Shawna means a bowl, probably a 1/2 gallon or more. In a tiny CUP I can almost promise you that they will have a seriously shortend life span.

Yes. Thank you, Sherry. In fact, the containers I used were at least a gallon, so they were quite large. They were vases I bought because I loved the shape of them, and was able to put stalks of anacharis in them for the bettas.

As for the other comment about not having tank mates, bettas don't really need them to be happy. In some cases, the additions of fish can stress them. It depends on the fish chosen as tankmates for the betta.
Rose
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well while the current may not be good for him the space sure is so ditch the filter and buy just the tank.
Rose
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my purple and white marble male betta (nicknamed Sharkticon) for a few months now, since before Christmas.

He started out in a WalMart betta cup. Came to my house, into a 3 gallon tank filled with duckweed, and handfuls of java moss. No heater, only a 30watt light on one end of his "tank."

He graduated to a five gallon, complete with filter, heater (tank is really a ten gallon halved), and all the works. More live plants. Some MTS and pygmy cories, which he seemed entranced with...then ignored.

Finally, last night was moved to my 20Long to give the other male betta in the 10 gallon more room and less problems with being stuck with strong current on his half.

He shares his tank now with 6 emerald-eyed rasboras, whom he ignores, and 6 aeneus cories--sometimes the albinos, great active bunch, scissor RIGHT in front of him! Makes him lose face, I guess, hehehe.

Point is, in the 3 gallon, Sharkti moved around. In the 5, he pranced when he saw people. And in his current and hopefully FINAL home, he's exploring the world of the cories, hiding under the bridge that's there FOR them--but he seems to like it more. Smile

Just my few cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dogsby
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put both of my bettas in a 10 gal, seperately of course, and neither liked it. One got ick so I moved him back to his 1 gal bowl, where he died a few weeks later Sad The other one just stayed in one place and didn't eat or anything, so back he goes to his bowl, and hes happy as a clam blowing bubbles and flaring at me when its feeding time.
I think it has to do with individual fish, some will love a big tank and some won't.

Shawn
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my betta in a 2+ gallon, heavily planted, unfiltered bowl, but I was just thinking-- filtration is always good. Would rigging up some sponge to the output of the filter in the 2 gallon help reduce the current at all? If so, I think the setu pwould provide a happy life for the betta.

Also, to think about PicOlio's point, I would think many fishes receive frequent water changes-- like cichlids or fry, for instance-- but the concern here is that the bettas do not receive frequent, complete water changes with complete bowl-cleanings and refills of cold, cholorinated water. I change my water every couple of days, with dechlorinated, appropriate temperature water, and I never change more than 50% of the water at a time. I'm sure Shawna's water changes were similarly guided. In these scenarios, I think the bettas are lucky to receive such changes.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to: