Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon nano reef tank setup
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pictus77
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)12:01    Post subject: 10 gallon nano reef tank setup Reply with quote

I am planning to set up a ten gallon nano reef. I am going to get about 10 pounds of live rock, one false percula clown, a blood red shrimp, and a few turbo snails. which is better, red or blue leg hermits? is live sand necessary? I might want to keep some soft corals like mushrooms, but I want to have sufficient light for small hard corals too. I am thinking about power compacts. what size? watts? actinic? I don't want a protein skimmer because I've heard they take too many nutrients out of the water for a small tank. would a wet dry filter be overkill and defeat the purpose of live rock? what is a good salt? I am going to do weekly water changes. any help will be greatly appreciated. I am sorry about all the questions, though. Rolling Eyes
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.21(Sun)23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your first attempt at keeping a reef I would start with a larger tank..say a 29 gallon and use a wet/dry with a large sump...say another 29 gallons, or make one with one of those rubbermiad totes. The reason is that as the tank gets smaller the water conditions change more rapidly, and reefs hate change! I would also shy away from to many snails...I know people use them but they seem to die easily and are big polluters when they do...they raise the amonia rather quickly. If you want to do a ten I would still use a wet/dry with a large sump...that way you can have an easier chance at staying on top of your water parameters. I would incorperate a protien skimmer too. This will help curb an amonia spike before it happens which seems to be the biggest killers of reefs...especially with an anemone...if they die your tank is toast without a large volume of water, a protien skimmer, a wet/dry, and lots of macroalgae. I would use an ocelaris or percula but not anything bigger. No tomato or maroon clowns. Instead of the snails I would go with a Blenny such as an eyelash as they like to graze on algae. Good luck and remember that a reef is'nt just a fish tank, its a little eco-system in a box...it won't flourish unless everything coincides and lives in harmony.
pictus77
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. At first, I was going to do a ten gallon, but now I'm thinking of something closer to a 20. I have been building a sump out of a 10 gallon tank that will be powered by a rio 1100. I wasn't going to have more than two fish anyway. today I took all the marine aquarium books out of my local library. it's now just a matter of research, getting enough money, and convincing my parents. Confused Any further advice will be appreciated, as I am 17 years old, and although I have experience with freshwater, this will be my first marine tank.
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it very good of you to check out material before starting up your tank! I would give you the advice to go at setting up slowly, selecting good live rock (I prefer Fiji live rock) and live sand, and letting the tank then cycle for two weeks at least before adding anything else. Have you got a digital camera or scanner...the reason I ask is it would be cool if you posted a step by step caption of setting up your reef... plus I would like to see it Smile and don't be afraid of making mistakes....just not learning from them! good luck
pictus77
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do about taking pictures. I have a good camera (Canon EOS) but it is not digital. However, I do a little photography, and when I get my film developed, I usually get them on a CD. I think you can also get them online too. How would I post pictures on this site? Thank you very much for all the advice. Do I really need 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon, at least initially?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictus,

I have the same camera and do the same thing as you. I generally cut out the part I want. Then reduce the size to 800x???. You then have to host them somewhere. I post them on the 5MB that my ISP gives me. After that link them here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: