Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf Gourami & Marimo ball
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)10:22    Post subject: Dwarf Gourami & Marimo ball Reply with quote

D'oh! My dwarf gourami is tearing up my marimo ball and using it to build a bubble nest! I am seriously considering returning the gourami pair and exchanging it for a couple more otos.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the males can wreak havoc on finely leaved plants. Of course they also pick at hairalgae, so they can have some benefits. As far as I know dwarf gouramis are the only gouramis that incorporate plant material in their bubble nests. So maybe a different kind of gourami (or a betta) might do well in your tank; all depending on tank size and inhabitants, of course.

Or you could of course add a couple of more otos... but they really don't make as nice a centerpiece fish as a beautiful anabantoid.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am being too hard on the gouramies. They look very happy in my 20g community tank which is also home to 2 otos, 5 pygmy cories and 6 white clouds plus an assortment of shrimp and snails.

Do you think it would be alright to move the marimo to my betta tank? At the moment I am treating the betta with Maracyn. And I'm not sure it would get enough light there (8 w over 6g). Any thoughts?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: