Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need some advice...fast!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkb0404
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)19:48    Post subject: Need some advice...fast! Reply with quote

I need some advice and fast. Something is wrong with my son's goldfish and I am scared to death he is going to die. We have a Comet goldfish and he is the only fish in a 4.5 gallon aquarium. For the last few days he has been real lathargic, and non-responsive and not really wanting to eat. Well yesterday he seemed back to normal, responsive, eating well, everything. However, I noticed that on his head between his eyes he was changing his color. He is turning a brownish color. It worsened overnight and now I notice it like on the tips of his fins and his tail.
Does anyone know what is wrong with my fish? Is it a water problem? Is he sick? Please tell me how I can keep him alive, I can't handle to have him die. My son's heart will break.
ashleighscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more info before we can help you....What size is the fish? Do you have a test kit to check the water parameters? If so, please post the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, temp, etc. How long have you had the fish in that tank? (is the tank cycled?) I can't pinpoint the exact problem, but I can tell you that goldfish are coldwater fish and get too big and create to much waste to live in small aquariums. If the fish makes it and you absolutely have to keep it for your son's sake, then please invest in a bigger tank, like at least a 30 gallon. A 44 or 55 gallon would be even better. Goldfish are more suited to live in large outdoor ponds.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe the brown colouration more?eg Is it the colour following veins on the fish?
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 25% water change and add a couple (ONLY) drops of your dechlorinater to the water afterwards. The drops have a slime coat that will protect the fishes skin. It sounds like the fish has been overfed and you have had an amonia spike... don't worry though, most goldfish are pretty hardy. Keep the tank clean, I.e. the gravel, by gently brushing it with your fingers as you take out the water. Add one teaspoon of NON-iodized salt to the water per water change. Also there is a plant called anacharas (uh-nak-uh-rus) that goldfish like to eat and the plant will also help to keep the water clean. It is inexpensive and most places that sell fish have it. Does the tank have a filter? Or does it have an air pump? A small air pump would help the fish a bunch. Do your 25% water changes every other week and add your dechlorinater drops (like two or three drops) and only give him a small pinch of food every other day...he won't starve and he will munch on the plant if he gets hungry. There is also a food called brine shrimp that goldfish need. You can buy a small container of it freeze dried for a couple of dollars and feed it once a week. It should last for a long time! Good luck!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)6:48    Post subject: Fresh water always helps Reply with quote

Water, water, water!

Goldfish in trouble can be helped by large water changes, wokr up to it, as your tank may be different than the tap water now. 25% is a good start, as suggeted, then repeat frequently and increase to 50%. I've treated goldfish with the Chinese Bucket-to-Bucket method which involves moving the fish to a fresh bucket each day. Germs and parasites are then left behind.

always match temp and dechlorinate.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to upgrade your tank size and fast. Comet goldfish get to be 12"-14" long and are very active swimmers, needing a tank longer than it is high. Your poor fish is suffering from a) poor water conditions since the goldfish is extremely messy in eating and pooping. Waste accumulationin a 4.5g tank is gargantuan in proportions on a daily basis. b)he's probably extremely stunted at this time and the reason he is lethargic aside from poisoning is the fact that his organs are pressing against each other.

There are only a few suitable fish for a 4.5g and a goldfish isn't one of them. I would return the goldie and go for a betta, a few sparkling gourami, a dwarf gourami or some small fish that likes being solitary.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: