Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sick goldfish and java moss
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)14:08    Post subject: sick goldfish and java moss Reply with quote

I have one huge telescope eye goldfish who is suffering from what I beleive to be swim bladder disease, I am currently treating him (although I have not stopped feeding as I have heard is best to do for a couple of days, as there is a tiny goldfish of same species in the tank who needs to eat) so I've been giving him peas and adding small amounts of salt. and when I get off work I'm going to buy some yummy romaine lettuce as well as some zuchinni for them. ANYWAYS, heres my question:

I really would like to put some java moss in the tank, for a soft bed for them, because I've noticed that when they sleep they just lay on the gravel and I feel bad because it can't be to comfy on their soft little tummies, I have a ten gallon tank at the moment which I know is way to small for my 4 inch long (probably longer with his pretty tailfins) and HUGELY girthy goldie, and my tiny (probably inch long) goldie. so I'm getting another one.

number one 1. will the goldies eat the java moss, and do you think it would be a good time to put some in for my recouperating fish, or should I wait until he is feeling better before I stress him out and rearrange his tank?

also: is java moss hard to take care of? I don't mind if the goldies eat it up, and pruning isnt a big deal. will it help with an algae problem I've had in the past? and does java moss need furtilizer, can I just smoosh it into the gravel or should I get a small piece of wood, I've heard coconut shells work well for cultivating it, any tips would be appreciated..
thanks!

sorry this is so long!!!

I'm relatively new to goldfish care, and I'm really getting into it. sorry for any dumb questions.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java moss is one of the easiest, if not THE easiest, plants to keep. I doubt the goldfish would be able to do too much damage to it, as it is not particular tender or brittle. I have had a clump of java moss in a 5.5g hospital/quarantine tank that's currently unlighted, unheated, unfiltered, and unwater-changed for about a month and a half, and it has not weakened at all. I definitely wouldn't waste money on ferts, and you can push it into the gravel to plant it.
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)15:46    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

ooh thanks for your tips Very Happy
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your goldfish needs some laxatives more than likely...I think I might get hassled for this since you are about the third person I have given this advice to tonight! Laughing The reason is this...goldfish ae a man made fish that should look more like a Koi or pond carp. To get those round desirable bodies they have been selectively bred for thousands of years. In the process thier digestive tracts have gone from a straight line to a curvy one to fit in thier abdomans. This consequently has made the problem of constipation and gas a problem for them. Thats why they can't swim. So...feed brine shrimp to your goldfish 3 or 4 times a week. They also like a plant called anachoras which does very well in goldfish tanks and is usually quite cheap/readily available....PM me and let me know how the goldies are doing in a week or so after feeding the brine shrimp...P.S. Thaw the shrimp in a small glass with your tank water in it before you use it and only feed a piece about the size of a nickle at a time.
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips! I have changed their diet entirely, feeding them zuchinni and peas, brine shrimp and bloodowrms, they havent eaten any flake or pellet food in 4 days! my older fish is swimming happily around and his constipation has ceased, although he still flits around upside down occasionally, he is so much more active now. maybe his funky swimming is a cute quirk? what do you guys think?!
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the fish do his upside down "flit" on the gravel or at the top /middle column of the water?
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

pan... he does his little upside down maneuver in the middle, lower to bottom part of the tank. he rarely goes up top.
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was a gymnist in a former life Laughing I would keep an eye out for ich though, to be serious, if this flitting is done on a decoration or the gravel....otherwise might I suggest a trepeze Wink
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.23(Tue)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: