Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting Upgrade Project: INFO on ODNO Systems
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)20:37    Post subject: Lighting Upgrade Project: INFO on ODNO Systems Reply with quote

In the next few months I plan to upgrade the lighting on my 75 gallon tank. Currently, it has the single bulb light strip that came with the tank and an additional shop light sitting on the tank for a total of 3 40 watt bulbs.

My thinking was to buy the 4x55 watt Bright Kit from AHSupply and have one of my handier friends make me a wooden box for a canopy. Does anyone have any advice, things to watch out for, or alternate suggestions?

Last edited by Cyradia on 2003.12.13(Sat)16:33; edited 1 time in total
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm still planning out how I'm going to do mine. Here are a few things I've thought about.

Is it going to sit on top of a hood or the tank?
If not are you going to hang it from the ceiling or stand up from the tank?

What about a lid and holes for the equipment? If you make a canopy that sits on the tank, you could line the inside with reflective material. So more light goes in the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia,
Make plans for ventilation/fans, possible upgrades later on like.... dare I say.... more light, moon/night light etc. Be sure to ask for the DIY tips AH offers. I would mix 2 6700K bulbs and two GE 9325K bulbs. Although I'm not sure if they are the same pin style.... if not then maybe two 8800Ks.

Fred
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another option, have you considered ODNO lighting system? ODNO stands for Over Driven Normal Output. Essentially you use a 4 bulb T-8 electronic ballast and connect all four power leads to one 4 foot T-8 fluorescent bulb. This "overdrives" the bulb to produce lumen's equivalent to 100-120W from that same 32W bulb. I use 3 overdriven lamps over my 75G gallon tank and it has produced the best results of any lighting system I've ever used. The bulbs are only $3-$4 each and last about 6 months...actually mine have been in since January and my Glosso is still growing horizontal and all my reds are intense.

I built my lighting system with 3 electronic ballast, 3 sets of end caps, reflective mylar, and a simple 5 sided wooden box enclosure.

This method of ODNO was developed by some folks over at ReefCentral a couple of years ago, and while it isn't quite as successful for marine tanks where small changes in spectral output can have a significant effect, those spectral shifts in planted tanks are easily compensated for by the plants. IMO and recent experiences, ODNO is a perfect fit for planted tanks. If my PC lighting over my 55G tank goes belly up, I'll replace it with ODNO lighting.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more about ODNO, but those terms you used just scared me. Wink

Give me some links to learn about it?
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read some info about it here. Wink

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90

ISquishWorms.
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cy, have you considered low cost lighting? Like daylight or genereic full spectrum bulbs? I just read an article comparing them, and they have about the same effeciencies as the more expensive ones(the expensive ones are abbout 1-5% more effecient, the difference is just too small)..
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.21(Sun)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
I would love to know more about ODNO, but those terms you used just scared me. Wink

Give me some links to learn about it?

It is really very simple to do. Choosing the ballast is the most important and complex part. I've found a very affordable and efficient T-8 electronic four bulb ballast. It's brand name is Damar, item number 3093A. At my local lighting supply store (not the same as a lamp store) they sell for $19.46 each. A superb and smaller ballast is made by Fulham, the Workhorse 5 electronic ballast ($35.00) is capable of the same wiring options plus it can be configured to run PC (biax and quads), HO, VHO, T-5, T-8, T-10, and T-12. Personally I like the T-8 ADV850 (5000K) and ADV865 (6500K) bulbs...avoid the TL950's, these have a very high CRI rating but are 30% less efficient when compared to either the ADV850 or ADV865.

It cost me about $120 to build my 300-330W ODNO lighting system including the wood.

Here is the discussion that got me interested, I then followed the link GulfCoast provided to ReefCentral.

ODNO Discussion
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.21(Sun)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm probably repeating a bunch of things, but let me see if I got this straight. Over a 75 gallon tank I could comfortably overdrive 3, 4 foot long bulbs. To do this, I would need 3 ballasts. Each ballast is a magentic ballast designed to run 4 bulbs, but through some splicing I'm running all four sets of wires into one bulb.

1. What do I need / need to know about the process of splicing and hooking the ballast up to the bulbs? Is this where endcaps come into play? What are the important things to know about endcaps? Is there a brand or part number I should keep in mind?

2. What kind of wire do I need to splice things? What are the safety hazards of this? (A fried Cyradia is a very sad thing.)

3. I'll be designing / building the wooden box canopy at the same time. Any big tips you have as far as design with these things? How about the heat produced by the bulbs. Do I need to put a fan or two in there?

4. Do you keep glass between your canopy and tank? I have two pieces of glass sitting over my tanks, but they often get dirty and I often wonder how much light they're blocking. If you remove them, does the evaporation not give you moisture issues in your lighting set-up?

5. Out of curiosity, did you notice any increase in your power bill when you went to these?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 75 that I am currently using 4 40 wattbulbs in two shoplight fixtues...the one thing I have learned from growing things is that the closer the light the better...my bulbs are about one inch from the water...I used a piece of glass in my home made canopy that is fitted into the top. The tank is actually open top in a way since the only cover is on the lights themselves. I used a vent fan to cool/dehumidify the chamber...the lights are close but totally safe. I am not sure how you intend to use all those ballasts on your tank...the bulb as far as I know determines the output, not the ballast...BE CAREFUL CYRADIA!!! I agree that you would be better off unfried! I plan to put up pics of my tank as soon as I figure out how to use my camcorder which has a memory stick for pictures.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: