Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting for a five gallon tank.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)19:53    Post subject: Lighting for a five gallon tank. Reply with quote

What kinda light should I buy for a five gallon tank that I'm planning on planting heavily?
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use Compact-Flourscent; more light, less heat, and lasts longer than normal flourscent! Get bulbs in the 5300k to 6500k range...which are suitable for growing plants. Go to www.ahsupply.com
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cf are not the only answer though ,you know. If you don't want to blow your budget up, try normal flourscent. Since most bulbs that are made are flos, they are pretty cheap, try the ones that are called daylight, full spectrum, daylight deluxe. IMO, they are the best, considering the priceand the quality of light. A normal T12, 40 watt, 48" only cost $4-$7, so you can't go worng with them. Smaller bulbs should be slightly cheaper. Brand names include: Ge(chroma 50, chroma 75) phillips(daylight, daylight deluxe) sylvannia(grolux).

Also, because you have a smaller tank, you actually need more light than you actually think.

look at it this way: The general rule of thumb is about 2 watts per gallon(but this only takes in consideration a light bulb that is somewhat ineffeceint, the ones in the old days), and the intensity changes per gallon as you have bigger and bigger tank.

For a 5 gallon, 5 watts per gallon may not be enough, and with a 200 gallon, 2 wpg is too much. You get the idea.

Hope This helped.
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did.. I'm going to go look at five gallon setups today. Would you recommend a layer of flourite? And if so.. how to place it? sandwich it in gravel or... stick it under the gravel... ?

Thank you.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making a comment. I don't have any fluorite in my tank and all my plants have been doing great for over a year. I do put half a root tab under each of the plants that need them every once and awhile (usually a month and a half).

To answer your question, I'd put it on the bottom instead of sandwiching it between the gravel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: