Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
young goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdingsand
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)19:38    Post subject: young goldfish Reply with quote

I have three large comet goldfish in my pond outside. earlier this summer, I was delighted to find a few fry swimming around the edges. I'm assuming most of them were eaten, but a few did survive. I can't be sure exactly how many. I'd say about 4. the adult comets are gold & white, and one is all gold. I know that, due to genetics, any number of color combinations is possible. the fish are now each about an inch long or a little more. a couple are very light gold. more like a pale yellow. one of those has a black spot on its back. then there are a couple all-black fish. they seem to be a little smaller, but maybe it just looks that way since they're so dark. they're very hard to see as well. maybe they're just younger?? I'd think that an all-black comet would be rare =/ can someone explain to me color development in goldfish as they mature? I'd really appreciate it. thanks guys Smile
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most goldfish are born a grayish-blackish color. As they mature, usually at 6 months to a year depending on temperature, diet, ect, they develop the adult gold/orange/red or white coloration that they will have as adults.
Sometimes the new color starts in patches, often at the belly, and can take quite a while to fully develop: which makes for "black moors" that aren't so black as adults, or "halloween goldfish" that are temporarily black and orange.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: