Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about my Java Moss.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan314
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)15:23    Post subject: Question about my Java Moss. Reply with quote

I've had my Java Moss for about a month now and it is growing new roots and is attaching to the rock, but it's not really spreading like I want/thought it would. I'm guessing it's having a hard time spreading because I'm finding pieces of the Java Moss in my filter. The Moss is located kind of near the filter, but not so close that it's being sucked toward it. - Does it just need more time to spread? And should I move the rock with the Java Moss somewhere else because maybe the filter is sucking pieces of it in?

Ryan.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java moss doesn't really go roots. It just attachs to thing. It may take sometime for it to start going. As far as finding it in the filter, that does happen. Especally if it hasn't been in there for a while. I found that if I disturb it or if it's going vary sparsely it tends to have small pieces break off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

java moss eithers grow like hell, or it doesn't, simple as that. try adding aquatic fertalisers, a bit more light, and if it's in an area with high water flow, it may being broken up, so try moving it around the tank to see if that helps.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kagh't wrote:
java moss eithers grow like hell, or it doesn't, simple as that.

Actually it is a slow growing plant. Unless you have a ton of light and fertilizers, then maybe it will speed up some. But I would not reccomend that since it could cause an algae problem. And trust me, you don't want that at all! I'd either be patient and let it grow. Or go get some more and cover up the spots you were hoping to fill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, I can hardly disagree more. I have two tanks with it in, both came from the same sample, one bunch has barely done anything in 2 months, except possible sit there and respire a bit, while the other stuff requires a hedge trimmer to remove once a week, and I'm actully thinking of getting rid of it because it's getting so annoying to prune back 24/7.

java moss does what java moss does, and the best way to grow it fast is to give it lots of light and be done with it.

also, it is a surpisingly good plant against algae. it's one of a few that can produce a chemical that inhibits algae growth, which is you'll hardly ever seen java moss with algae on it.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to second Kagh't. My java moss in my 75 was doubling in size every week. Until the hair algae struck. While my java moss never got any other algae on it, it sucumbed to hair algae. Now all I have is a small patch on 1 piece of wood in the 75.

Kagh't,

if you want pictures of java moss with hair algae check my link under Ads&Links. Across the top of the large log on the right is moss.. *sigh* I miss my 3 softball+ sized clumps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.19(Fri)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always send em off to other members. I've been looking around for the stuff for a long time, and I don't think I would mind it growing quickly, as I could try it out in the 46 gallon tank.

BTw, has anyone ever tried a java moss wall? I've seen pictures of it and all I cna say is that the result is AWESOME!
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Irons, is your hair algae black or green? I had a problem with the green filamentous algae and I bought a siamese algae eater (Epalzeorhynchus siamensis) or flying fox as they are called sometimes and he took care of it quickly...my angelfish sometimes nibble at it as well...while looking for baby swordtails I expect Wink My java moss has been in my tank for about two months now and has grown ten times in size...and as I am in the process of building a hood all the light it has recieved is from a window across the room from it! Java moss is easy to get to stay in one place...tie it down! Use thread or fishing line (I use spider wire since its very limp). Years back I introduced black hair algae into my tank via a clump of java moss...never did get rid of it !Mad I finally got a whole new set-up and was leery of java moss ever since...one good note though, I recectly came across a fish at The Fish Store in Seattle called a Ceylon log sucker that is supposed to graze on it quite well...I will get the scientific name of it and post it soon...the "flying fox" is supposed to do well with it too. I hope never to find out first hand!!!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoName,
Yea, I could have have given some to board members, but I'm sure nobody want 50/50 moss/algae. Once I get another good sized healthy colony going I might do that. Also, it's all over aquabid.

My problem with the algae was bigger than fish could take care of.
http://users.adelphia.net/~irons21/tanks/75/algae.jpg
I think that was all in 1 week. It turned out to be the phosphates in the food.

Instead of tying mine down, I just put some gravel on it. Once the moss attaches you good. If you need to move it, it'll still be weighted down.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: