Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Choosing the Right Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.16(Tue)13:26    Post subject: Choosing the Right Tank Reply with quote

Well, currently I have a bout 4 empty tanks in my house, but really I only have 2 of decent size. I wanted to turn one of the tanks into a salt tank and the other into a amazon planted tank which will replace a smaller tank of mine.

So the question is what would be better suited for a salt tank, taking into consideration the size and shape of the tank.
a) a 29 gallon regular rectangular tank
or
b)a 35 gallon hexagon tank

Thanks,
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.16(Tue)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about salt water but I have heard that you need a big tank so I would say the 35 would work best if getting a bigger tank isnt posible.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.16(Tue)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping the glass clean on a 35 gallon Salt can be difficult. The extra corners collects Film algae and cause a headache. Also liverock placement is also not too easy in a HEX. Also lighting a 35 hex would be diffcult. You would have to either use MH or get a custom hood.

Here is my Old 29 Gallon Saltwater tank. I can't imagine getting this much life set into a 35 Hex.

wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.16(Tue)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking, the 35g seemed like it was going to be difficult setup to make, espeicially since it was soo high. I thought that since the 35g tank was more water to keep chemistry stable but than I figured it really wouldnt be worth it since there was just so little room at the bottom of the tank to set up the live rock and get a current down there without causing to big of a problem.

Alright thanks, I am going to save the 29g for the salt tank and start setting up the hex for the freshwater system.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.17(Wed)7:01    Post subject: Plants are hard in the hex also Reply with quote

The hex is also difficult, I hear, for planted tanks. Mostly due to the lighting. If you can solve the light issue to get something like 2.0 watt per gallon with good coverage it could work. Then you need to find fish that don't require much horizontal swimming room.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 29 rectangle would be better for a couple of reasons. Its lower and would be easier to take care of, also being lower if you went with corals its better for the lighting. Witht he hex you would actually need more wattage because the light would have to go deeper. And with the 29 you would have more surface area which helps with oxygen levels. Keep in mind salt water contains less water then fresh water more surface area is better for this. The hex would make a nice fo tank but the 29 would be more suited for a reef.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is needed for a fish only tank? I mean, what type of filtration and equipment? Do you need live rock?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use lr in a fo or reef tank. IMO I wouldnt have a salt tank without it. You don't need special lighting with a fo tank you can go with standard lighting, heater, filtration, I would still suggest power heads for water movment.

Theres so much that can be said about saltwater but there are good beginner sites to check out

starting marines
http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/pages/marine/keeping_marine_fish_printable.html

reefkeeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: