Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Starting a marine tank (first time)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wise Donkey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)2:30    Post subject: Starting a marine tank (first time) Reply with quote

I wanted to start my first marine tank and I was looking for some help in what I will need.

I want to keep a pair of ocellarius clowns in a 10 gallon tank. I've done a little reading on marine tanks and I've decided to go the way of the Fish Only tank.

So what do I need to get started?

Thanks Sam.
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advice I could give is to buy a good book on marine keeping, a 10 is realy small in my opinion for 2 ocellarius, they both will grow up to 4 inches and the smallest tank I would put them in would be at least a 30gal,another draw back with small tanks is the water stability any slight alteration in the water can mean disaster, plus with a 10gal after you add the live rock and anything else you put in there when all is said and done where are 2 4in fish gonna swim,
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.16(Tue)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Ocellaris in a 10 gallon would be very tight. The smallest Clown tank I can say would be a 20 gal and that would be with 2 Percula Clowns.

An unmated pair of clowns in any tank under 55 gallons is not really advisable they would get pretty territorial with each other.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.18(Thu)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started my tank this last month. I found a great book to get started with is, (Don't Laugh!) Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies.

For those of us who don't know much about saltwater yet it is a very simple straight forward book to get started with.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with going at least 30 gall for 2 clowns. A rule to go by when beginning is 1" per 5 gallons of water. Some people with expericence consider 1" per 3 gallons OK. Here is a good site to read about

Reef keeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

this site has tons of info on it
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: