Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
figure 8 or spotted in marine
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.14(Sun)9:21    Post subject: figure 8 or spotted in marine Reply with quote

I was wondering if I would be able to make my brackish tank into a marine...I have it set up with only a mollie in it right now to cycle it....but I am going to get either spotted or figure eight puffers...

also if I could turn it into marine would I be able to add a clownfish with either of the puffers?

and then....haha....how would I turn it into marine....how and when would I add salt to the water? thanks for your help
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.14(Sun)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure 8 and spotted puff's can handle brackish conditions but definately not full on marine condistions. You may want to read up about your fish choices before you decideon what your final choice of fish is.

to mix up saltwater, mix it in a big conatiner first of all and then add it. Put a powerhead in the container to keep the water moving so the salt dissloves completely. Follow the instructions on the packaging for the right salinity (level of salt in the water).
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The puffers I would suggest keeping them brackish. Going from brackish to salt the tank will still go through the cycle and the salt cycle is the harshest of the 3 tanks. I did this with a 38 gall with ghost shrimp. It was reccomended that I raise the salt 1 point every other day, you could try this with your molly. The best way to cycle a tank though is fishless take some peel and eat shrimp and throw them in the tank. The green spots when full adult can take to full marine conditions but its full adult only the figure 8's, are brackish and can't handle full salt. But I still wouldnt mix them with clowns because green spots can become fin nippers and quite aggresive in adult size.

Its best if you have a seperat container rubbermaid, new bucket or someting along those lines to mix your salt and let it sit for a day with a powerhead or airstone. Mixing salt directly in the tank can burn fish and other inhabitants. Also you can test it before adding to the tank for the right salt level.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: