Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Power Compact Fluorescents
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.13(Sat)15:46    Post subject: Power Compact Fluorescents Reply with quote

Hey all,
I was just wondering whether anyone could 'enlighten' me? Wink
Sorry, was having a really sad moment! LOL
Seriously does anyone know about the lumens per watt advantage that power compacts have over standard fluorescents? Does anyone use power compacts? Have any experience / views of their performance?

These are the sort I'm talking about

Thanks guys and gals Smile
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.13(Sat)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post on lumens in the 37G lighting topic.

These things are bright, you can't really look at them when they are on.

They run hotter than the NO Fluorescents. They last at least a year compared to 6months for NO. They do cost quite a bit more.

Waffleman
William
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.14(Sun)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type-R,

What a good question, it really piqued my interest. I've spent the better part of three hours googling and going over static references trying to figure out an answer. At this point I can't and hope one of the sharper people on the board can clear it up. My google search has led me to ge.com, philips.com, the krib, and various aquatic plant mailing lists. I read a few times that there was really no difference in the lumens per watt of a regular fluorescent tube versus a power compact. The big advantage of pc's is the size, I.E. two forty watt regular tubes, displace as much room as my 192 watt pc strip, thus you are getting more lumens per square inch of the strip. If this is true, then it gets complicated to me, as I understand it, because the reflector comes into play as it directs lumens (output) into the tank. I tried to look up the lumen specs of my CoraLife bulbs, with no success. I guess I'm going to have to bust out some cash and buy a lux meter so I can satisfy my curiosity.

As far as pc's go, yes I use CoraLife strips on four tanks. I have a 192 watt strip (10,000K and 6700K bulb) a 130 watt strip (10,000K and a 50/50), a 65 watt strip (50/50) and a 55 watt strip (10,000K). I am quite pleased with the results. I have good plant growth in all the tanks. Albeit I'm not growing anything fancy yet Wink

The lights are VERY hot. I don't have heaters in any of my planted tanks and the temperatures run around 80 degrees. Replacement strips are pricey compared to standard fluorescents.

Waffleman,

I am curious why you said in your 37 gallon topic the Kelvin rating of a bulb is related to lumen output, I read the specs of several bulbs with the same spectrum and they put out different lumens. As I understand it the technology of the bulb, construction, phosphor, and gas are related to the lumens and not the actual spectral content. Am I missing something here?

Best regards,

William
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.14(Sun)21:39    Post subject: Lumens and color temperature Reply with quote

On some good web sites, like "the krib", there are people publishing studies on the relationship between Color and intensity. Some universities (agricultural) are studying this as well.

AHSupply lists the Lumen output of their 55W bulb for both 5300K and 6500K, that confirms my statement. Also http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/spectra.html by Hoa G. Nguyen: same brand, same watts, different color = different lumens

I can imagine that different phosphors to create different color temps will end up with different light output.

Waffleman
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Type - R, I use a power compact flourecent in 2 of my tanks. The growth of the plants under these lights is amazing. After I bleached my plants, (not too pleased with the idea anymore...) the plants had absolutely no leaves left to them. After a week I started noticing new leaves and roots on many of my plants, I think I have the light to thank for that. I also have a 130 watt PC on my 25 gallon tank, I grow plants such as brazzilian Micro, hairy Baccopa, and a few swords. I don't think there is any other advantage to the power compact other then the space saver and longer lasting bulb.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type R, I bought my power compact kit from Aquatics Online. At the moment I have the 2 X 24W kit with an extra 15W Aquaglow to replicate morning and dusk. Straight away I noticed my plants pearling which I had never seen on my plants now. I used to have the problem of my plants dying, now I have to worry about them growing too large!

I'm the same with mlody, the only reason I chose them is because they save space.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies people.
I'm getting the impression then that the only reason to choose power compacts is for space saving and lamp life. I don't know why but I thought that power compacts would be more efficient at converting electrical to light energy and thus, as the wattage is the power usage, they would output more light per watt. So hypothetically if I had a 55 watt power compact and a 55 watt standard fluorescent with the same Kelvin rating they would output just the same light? I am thinking that it is watts per m2 that counts. Lamps could have the same wattage but the power compact would have a superior watt per square meter rating hence you can say it is more efficient! That must be it! Sorry I was typing as I thought it through! Laughing

What do you think?
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your exactly right! The only reason I bought the power compact was because it gave me a lot of wattage without having 4 - 6 tubes of reguar lamps hanging over the tank. Hence more power output per m2.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: