Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any insight on Chalk Basslet & diamondback Goby?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ping
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)22:49    Post subject: Any insight on Chalk Basslet & diamondback Goby? Reply with quote

After the death of my Lawnmower Blenny I thought I was giving up on my love of fish...Crying or Very sad
I'm down to one firefish, a beautiful cleaner shrimp, 3 small crabs and 4 snails in a 32g tank. (Also really nice live rocks with tiny mysterious creatures).
I don't have much faith in any of the lfs in my area (they give conflicting information and seem to rely on trial and error) and so I get most of my information from this fantastic site.
I've got my eye on a really nice Chalk Basslet and a Diamondback Goby and considering adding them to my tank, but I'm not finding much information on their needs and likes.
I'd appreciate any of your input.

Also, Is there such thing as a class I could take to learn first hand about saltwater tanks without having to learn at the expense of loss of life? Books are helpful but I prefer more of a question and answer environment.

Thank you
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if there is a marine club near you; that may be your best bet.

I know Phoenix AZ has a marine club...of all the places! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had those 2 species in particular but I did have a strawberry basslet. Basslets can be aggressive towards calmer fish like the firefish. But are OK with cardinals, clowns. The diamond back goby should be OK. Do you have a sand bottom they are sand sifters and will eat a varitey of foods and a good community fish.

A good beginner book is The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta. Its informative and easy to understand. Also there are a lot of good sites I will give you the ones I reccomend reading.

Reef Keeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

Creating, maintaing, and understanding
http://www.expat.or.id/info/aquarium.html

Live rock faq
http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

Sand bed faq
http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

read those they are good starting points
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.08(Wed)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classes are hard to find due to lack of interest. Four times I got set up through the Adult & Community Education Program to conduct classes in fishkeeping, and three of those times the class had to be cancelled because almost no one showed up for them. I thought about creating a correspondence course, but then I thought better of it.
The Paletta book mentioned above really is quite good, and I also recommend it.

Now, as for Chalk Bass-- these are great little fish which I highly recommend. HOWEVER, I have to warn you that there is a lot of mimicry in the bass & grouper families, so it's important to make sure that it really IS a Chalk Bass. A cute little Chalk I once put on display turned out to be one of those others, and today "Chalkie" is 15 inches long! Yes, it fooled me, and it even fooled Scott Michael himself!
I'd stay away from the Diamond Goby. If you've already lost a Lawnmower, then there may be something about your tank wich makes it less-than-hospitable for bottom sitting fish. Or not. Just a suggestion.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: