Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Firemouth Cichlid
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)18:31    Post subject: Firemouth Cichlid Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

My sister and I have both been in love with The Beautiful Firemouth.

I have a question that someone who either has experience with them mabye can answer...

I have not yet bought any, but my sister has had two that died. Now she has two that are doing well and are beautiful...

Problem: The first two were like all the photos that I see... Light in color like the Rainbow Rams but of course with the bright red under the mouth area.. (Those were the two that didn't survive). She now has two more that were sold to her from a different place that are actually Black.. They have blue on the front side areas.. They are awesome..

I want to get some but not sure what the difference is.. Are they different breeds of Firemouth or are the dark ones Juvinille.. (Seems like I've seen that somewhere). OR is it possible that the light are the females and the dark males..

I'm very anxious to know..

Thanks for reading
Kiltee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice of fish...very under appreciated in my opinion. What you describe could be the result of several things. The darker color could indicate a stress situation which might be supported by the fact that the two other died, I'm assuming in the same tank.

If you can eliminate the stress factor (ie: good water, no ammonia or nitrites, plenty of hiding spaces, etc...) then most likely the second set of fish are of a better color strain. The colors that I see on firemouths in most stores are simply dreadful compared to their natural coloration. Check out this picture: Thorichthys meeki A good quality strain of this fish is absolutely beautiful.

Here is a great article about this fish. If you fast forward through all of the usual talk about the origination of the genus, it talks a lot about different colorations from different regions. Thorichthys meeki in the wild
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy

Yes that is a great photo... The first two fish died long before my sister bought the second two.... Actually one is a little lighter in color than the other, so it could be that she lucked into a pair, although they look alike to me.. Smile

The first two that she had looked more like The lower photo on
this page.

The second two look more like the one you showec me. Although there is no red showing yet? They are not very old yet... about 2 1/2 inches long.

But growing like weeds.. Smile

I hope the link works.. I have not done it before on here...

Kiltee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: