Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Scratched Tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlesteve
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)6:59    Post subject: Scratched Tank Reply with quote

Does anyone have any hints,tips, tricks or ideas on removing scratches from inside a fishtank? It's empty at the moment if that widens my options!

Cheers

Steve.
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.25(Tue)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it could be plexiglass or glass, I would say your options are wide open. Laughing

If it is plexiglass, you can polish a scratch out using the appropriate grits and polish. The same with glass, but it will be much harder. If the scratches are not on the front part of the tank, I would just leave them alone. I have one all glass, 37 gallon tank that has scratches on all sides. The only time I really notice them is when cleaning or trying to take pictures.

PostPosted: 2003.02.26(Wed)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its an acrilic tank then get one of those kit that has different grit snad paper, its going take allong time to get them out but it works.
beetlesteve
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.27(Thu)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately it's glass! Sad

I was told by a guy at the LFS to use a cd polishing kit. I'll see how it goes!

cheers!
Dr.CoNfUsEd
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.22(Sat)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the scratch is deep you might be able to get buy with a pen torch.

if your tank is empty just g'head and warm up the scratch and the area around it. keep warming it until it starts turning red. that means the glass is begining to melt. if you did it right the scratch should disappear when the glass cools down. I did it to one of my 60g. it worked great.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tank with some scratches as well. Please let us know what you did, and how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beetlesteve
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Tried the cd polishing kit, didn't work at all! Crying or Very sad

In the end I just cleaned it and filled it up, unfortunately it's really badly scratched, I'm currently experimenting with the light positions and reflector as the scratches show up more when the very bright lights shine on them.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: