Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ram not eating! Please help quickly! PLEASE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)21:09    Post subject: Ram not eating! Please help quickly! PLEASE! Reply with quote

One of my blue rams is not eating. He has a couple bits of ick on him, but I've increased the temperature a bit and I am doing frequent water changes to get rid of that...hopefully! In addition to not eating he is up at the top of the aquarium gasping for air. The water is fine (Ammonia=0, NitrItes=0, Nitrates=10) and no other fish are doing it, so it is a problem with this fish. My other ram is perfectly happy. I've had him for a little more than 3 weeks and this is just current.

I've tried to give him something different hopefully he might eat something. I tried every fish food in the house...algae wafers, bottom feeder wafers, betta bits, tropical fish flakes, plankton, bloodworms, cichlids pellets decided for small cichlids...he didn't eat any of it! Sad I don't think it's internal parasites because the very few time I see a little of his poop it is tan-ish.

His color is also really blotchy (you know when a cichlid is scared and stressed how they get). If you have no idea what I'm talking about here is a pic of a scared krib (http://www.theaquarians.net/FishPhotos/kribscared.jpg).

He just started this yesterday (except the color fading; I noticed that but didn't pay any attention to it since I thought it was nothing). I think maybe he just hasn't been eating enough (he seems to be the last one to eat and waits for the tidbits to fall...that is when he did eat) and has grown weak.

My question is: Is there anything I can do? Is he too far gone to save? Should I just put him to sleep before he starts getting sick and introduces this to my healthy fish? Is the reason he is breathing like this a gill problem even though they aren't swollen or stress?

Also I forget does MelaFix treat gill probems. I threw away the box awhile ago and forgot.

Sad Please! Help me! Sad

Oh, yeah, here is the tank stats:
Fish: 1 paradise male (peaceful and doesn't bother any of the fish in the tank at all), 3 kuhli loaches, 4 cherry barbs, and 2 otos. There are also the 2 blue ram. They are both males and the one that is having the problems I thought was a female because he had a pink belly when I got him, but it turned orange after being in the tank a few days.

Tank: 20g moderatly-heavily planted.

Water changes: 25% weekly, replaced with 1/2 RO water (with a few grains of aquarium salt to add some electrolites..or whatever they are called, I'm too lazy to go look it up right now) and 1/2 treated tap water.

Oh, yeah the store said they had had them for awhile (one 2 weeks, the other 3 weeks). And this store takes very good care of their fish and tanks. FYI

Last edited by FishAddict85 on 2003.09.10(Wed)21:29; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this possibly hexamita? I was reading up on the issue on the krib and maybe this is the problem? But there is no holes in the head? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, stratch that. Perhaps it is some sort of parasite in the gills. Confused I think. What do you guys think it is? How do I treat it? Remember rams are delicate fish! As is my kuhli loaches and otos (I believe). And this is a planted tank! Confused

Please!

EDIT: or maybe it is just teh ich that's causing it? As for his lack of appetite, would putting a bit of garlic in his food help? I was reading an old post on another boad after doing a google search and the ram wasn't eating like mine and someone suggested soaking the flakes in garlic oil and the ram started eating again?

Last edited by FishAddict85 on 2003.09.11(Thu)6:35; edited 1 time in total
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a silly question but do you have a bubble wand?
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
It sounds very much as if it is the Ich. Ich can spread to the gills and cause problems with respiration so it is most likely that.
Obviously you don't have a hospital tank to put him in so I think your only way is to treat him in the main tank.
Adding the garlic oil to some food is a good idea anyway because it can help fish to get rid of the Ich parasite.
In the past I have treated a friends planted tank with tetras and blue rams for Ich using WS3 which is an Ich treatment in the UK. It is basically Malachite Green and Formalin, I treated at half dosage. I dosed every 48 hours with a 30% water change in between doses. It took 3 doses to completely kill all the Ich. All the fish and plants survived with no probs.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I keep up the water changes? As I was sifting through the krib I came across this:

Quote:
Is this fish also breathing heavily? Since water chemistry is OK, and a
second fish is affected, there is probably an infective pathogen around.
It's very unlikely that it is a bacterium: a very common cause for
rapidly fatal diseases are pathogens like the agents of velvet or Ick
(which do not always cause visible white spots). In my opinion, your
best first-line remedy is formalin+malachite green (I saved a several
apisto and laetacara fry with it). The product I am familiar with is
Rid-Ich+ by kordon, at 7 ml/10 gal, on day 1, 4, 7, 10 and water changes
on day 13. Add an airstone, since it will decrease the oxygen levels.
Stay away from antibacterials and poorly designed mixtures of various
drugs, which often just kill the filter and do nothing on the pathogens!
Good luck, and let us know on how it goes.
By the way, have you recently introduced some new fish in that tank?

I have some quick-cure. But it is really old...2 years. It says: Contents- A "Tri-chelatd" formula of 99.20% Formaldeyde .75% Malachite Gree

BTW, Thanks for replying! I was afraid I was gonna have to figure this out on my own.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah keep up the water changes until you start medicating.
Quick cure is also a formalin and Malachite green Med but it will have gone off after 2 years. Malachite green meds do not keep well. Get some of the same stuff and treat at half dosage.
You will want to stop CO2 injection if you have it and turn off the lights as light reduces the effectiveness of Malachite green.
It's up to you what pattern of treatments you decide to do. Maybe just follow the packaging and see how you go?
Oh yeah and I would get some garlic oil if you can as it does really help the fish to shake off Ich and also boosts the immune system thus making them less prone to secondary infections.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use CO2.

I'll walk over to IGA (a grocery store) down the street and pick up some garlic oil after the rain stops. And later I'll go to PetsMart and get some ich medication.

Thanks so much!!! Very Happy Hopefully, the little guy will make it.

I found an article on the web with info on it. And it says QuickCure is not a good idea. Reccomends Maracide (by Mardel).
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard any horror stories about Maracide so I guess it's as good as anything. It's not a malachite/formalin type and apparantly it won't kill your plants but it will stain the silicone sealant at the edges of the tank - unless it is black silicone like mine! Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: