Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting for a new 155 gallon
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyV
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)14:31    Post subject: Lighting for a new 155 gallon Reply with quote

I'm setting up a new 155g tank (60x24x24) and have a question on lighting. If I use 6x96w compact fluorescents for a total of 576w, I will have 3.71 watts per gallon on the tank. Will this be enough lighting to grow pretty much any types of plants?

The tank will have a fluorite substrate and CO2 injection.

Thanks,
Danny
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

With larger tanks you can throw the WPG rule out the window. That much light is pretty much over kill. You will do fine win 2-3 x 96W CF and be open to grow a wide variey to plants.
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dosnt the watts per gallon rule apply to larger tanks?
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With larger tanks you can throw the WPG rule out the window.

Yeah I heard this to. When does a tank become 'big'? Are we talking 50g plus here or what?
dannyV
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay, thats the first I heard about the WPG sloping off on the larger tanks but then again I'm moving back to planted from saltwater so have to re-learn a few things.

Good news to me though because I already have 3 of the 96w power compacts. I'll give them a run for a while and see how the tank responds.

Danny
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WPG is just a general rule when cosidering what type and how much light you should acquire for your tank.

Another important thing to consider, more so with larger tanks, is how deep the tank itself is, in this case 24 inches. When you add in substrate you'll be looking at something more like 20-22. How much lumens penetrating the lower levels of the tank is what's important in growing healthy plants.
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say you have a tank thats 18 inches high does that qualify as large and there for does not adopt the watts per gallon rule or what?
I'm confused.
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.12(Fri)3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a new tank thats 48" x 18" x 18". Its 255 litres, about 67 US gallons and 56 UK gallons. Would this be considered a big aquarium? Would I be able to get away with 144 watts over this? ( 4 x 48" 36 watt tubes) giving me about 2 wpg.
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your going to need at least four of the 96 watters. I have only two of them with another hundred watts from 5 screw in 23 watt compacts for a total of 307watts on a 150g tank, and I can only grow medium to low light plants. with added co2 I can grow some of the upper medium light plants but a lot of the stem plants just grow to strangly with leaves really spaced out trying to get to the surface to fast. I would recomend at least 400 watts if you want to grow medium to high light plants .
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: