Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Compact fluorescents - question #2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grinder
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)13:33    Post subject: Compact fluorescents - question #2 Reply with quote

I have a 36-inch compact fluorescent for my tank and am wondering how long the light actually puts out the plant-growing spectrum. I know that NORMAL florescence last about 1 year, even though they still are bright the color balance changes.

The reason I ask is that it's 2 years old and at one time I was pruning every 3-4 days - now most of my plants are 4 in tall and not looking real great. I have 3W per gal in a 38G tank but am thinking that 90 of the watts are not good light. Everything else is OK - even my hair algae is looking feeble LOL!

Any information on compacts?
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is recommended to replace compact fluorescents every 12-15 months.

In the end, the best measure is plant growth. As long as your plants look happy, the bulbs are working well. Smile
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Barr (plant guru) runs his CF bulbs until they burn out. He's had bulbs go for 5 or 6 years with no noticeable decrement in plant growth. Anecdotally, my LFS ran their CFs for three years on their planted display tank, and the plants grew as usual. However, if you're sure that nothing's changed but your plant growth has decreased, then that only leaves lighting as the issue. Swap out the bulbs.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well . . . .ummm . . .what could change if the chems are all normal and I continue to add plant food. Am I missing something?

The "crop" that used to hide fish are starting to look like my hair LOL.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: