Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does anybody who use diy co2...
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)23:57    Post subject: Does anybody who use diy co2... Reply with quote

use flour instead? Well, I'm gonna try it, and it just seems logical that flour(refined) is made up of simple straches anyway, and has loads more protein, and other nutrients than just sugar, thus, the yeast last longer.

There are also other variations like adding some sugar to help jumpstart the yeast, since it takes longer for the starch form the flour to be available to the yeast.

If you have any experience with this, please do post here.

Thank you
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a nutshell, that won't work. flour has carbohydrates, which are made up of chains of sugars. yeast needs sugar, as it generally has no enzymes to break down carbs into sugars.

in my DIY injectors, I use a half cup of icing sugar, a half cup of brown sugar and two cups of normal caster sugar in two litres of water with a tea spoon of baking soda and a packet of ready to use yeast, and I get around 1 bubble a second for about 3-4 weeks.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reven, If you are really worried. You can always turn your CO2 reactors into wine, beer, or liquor making. hehehehe.. fun of all kinds of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.12(Fri)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yeh, I've had some 'interesting' experiences where the CO2 got a little excited and emptied some of the mix into the water, and the fish really don't get along with alcohol Laughing Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: