Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gravel "Is there really any difference"?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)14:08    Post subject: Gravel "Is there really any difference"? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of setting up our new 65 gallon tank. I know a lot of this is simply what the end user prefers but is there any real benefit to using the natural pea sized gravel vs the colored sort of jagged gravel?

We have the latter in our smaller 29 gallon and I would like to try using the natural river bottom type of gravel. Can anyone iterate on this further..ie: benefits, lack of light reflection, better bacterial colonies? Thanks.

Phil.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a fish only tank the substrate is of minor importance. It can be used to help buffer a tank if that is desired and proper substrate material is used. But, on average the type and color of the substrate for a fish only tank is an exercise in hobbyist preferences. In a fish only tank the majority of the biological filtration is going to be located in the filter, some bio film will develop on the substrate material but by far the largest colony should be located in the bio-filter. Substrate choice becomes really important when choosing it for a planted tank though.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, we are going to proceed with mostly artificials for this time except for some Java Moss/Fern and maybe one other plant.

Phil.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the advantages that I find to a natural gravel is it doesn't fade. That is the reason I don't buy artifical. When the black stones start looking all white or blue to white it looks ugly. Other than that what Steve said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: