Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do discus like the shrimp platter?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)12:12    Post subject: Do discus like the shrimp platter? Reply with quote

So do discus like to eat those delicious shrimp? Not brine but the ones that eat algae (I.e. amano). Your trials with these could sure save ME some money. Glad for your successes and sorry for your losses!
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

When dealing with these shrimp, consider the same rule as when keeping smaller fish with bigger fish. Generally speaking, if it's going to fit in their mouth....they're going to eat it. I wouldn't trust a shrimp with a discus any more than a shrimp with an angelfish. For the record, I keep a variety of dwarf cichlids, lake tang fish, and angelfish...and I don't have a tank they can live in without getting turned into food.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, amano shrimps and the likewise should be OK with discus, as long as they can have somewhere to run away to in case of agression. discus arn't particulary nippy fish anyway, but I would reccommend adding only a few shrimp to begin with, to see what happens, and go from there.

be careful though, of the high temperatures and low dissolved mineral content of the water, it may pay to find a shrimp more suited to these conditions, as I know amano shrimp arn't to good in them.
moricollins
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

most shrimp will not do well in a discus tank, if the water is adjusted to the discus's optimal setting, (low Gh and KH).

the shrimp need the hard water for the added dissolved minerals in it.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amano himself keeps Amano shrimp with discus without problems; I'd imagine that as long as you don't introduce small shrimp into a tank with large discus you'd be okay as well. And I've been keeping cherry red and Amano shrimp in a nano tank with immeasurable general hardness for the past several months. The cherry reds even bred.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

2la wrote:
And I've been keeping cherry red and Amano shrimp in a nano tank with immeasurable general hardness for the past several months.

Tula! You're back! Smile
I keep amano with a single Discus and have had no issues... I didn't reply though as one Discus may be an exception...

One thing question/ comment on your tank; Do you add trace elements for plants? The reason I ask is that trace amounts of iodine seem extremely important... calcium and magnesium seem to be obtained from food but Iodine seems to be needed after molting... I wonder if amanos would be okay in a non planted Discus tank with a GH and KH of 4 or less and no plant additives...

Just something to consider...
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: