Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Python (No Mess) Syphon
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)8:50    Post subject: Python (No Mess) Syphon Reply with quote

I could recieve the Putz of the year award here but can someone tell me how this system can put the chlorine treatment etc back into the tank. I currently add the chemicals to my 5 gal pail and carefully dump it into the tank. Thanks everyone.

Philster.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)9:22    Post subject: Before or during Reply with quote

You can either add the dechlorinator to the tank before you start refilling, or during the refill.

I typically turn on the water, race to the tank and get the dechlor into the tanks as or just after the water actually starts flowing in. If I'm late the fish either don't mind or are too stupid to know that there is something in the water that is not good for them, they are all gathered around chasing bubbles in the flow.
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL....good one there. I appreciate the feedback. I thought there might have been a drop line for a bucket or similar. I'm glad to hear there is no shock to your fish. I just wasn't sure how to add the stress coat etc. Thanks again.

Phil.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I wondered about this too Phil so it's not just you! I always mix my change water in buckets with dechlorinator, test the temperature and leave it to sit so that the concentration of gases reduces. Water straight from a pressurised main is super saturated with gases (depending on your water source and mains pressure) and if your fish take these in through the gills they can cause 'bubble disease'.
How do you make sure your water temperature is right when using a python so as not to shock the fish? Confused
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type-R wrote:
Hey,
I wondered about this too Phil so it's not just you! I always mix my change water in buckets with dechlorinator, test the temperature and leave it to sit so that the concentration of gases reduces. Water straight from a pressurised main is super saturated with gases (depending on your water source and mains pressure) and if your fish take these in through the gills they can cause 'bubble disease'.
How do you make sure your water temperature is right when using a python so as not to shock the fish? Confused

The Python has a bypass valve at the faucet that allows you to run water straight through the valve. We simply mix a little hot with the cold tap until the temperature is close to the tank water temperature. When adjusted, switch the valve to fill the tank. Add dechlor/water conditioner to the tank as it's filling. I do weekly 50% water changes with my city water, using the Python, in all of my 8 planted tanks. My fish include sensitive fish such as rams, apistos, and chocolate gourami's...been doing WC's this way for 8+ years without a problem. Note that people with copper lined hot water heaters could have a problem with this method during really cold weather when the amount of hot water being used may be high in the mix.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fella's, I had nearly forgotten about the temperature issue. I'm glad to hear that there is a way to get our water temps very close as we refill the tank. Have a great day. Smile

Philster.
pineapple
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)8:16    Post subject: use a pump Reply with quote

Those pythons take a bit of wrangling.

I use a 25' one. First I use it to fill up a large tub in our kitchen with cold water. I add the dechlor and lit the tub sit for at least 3 hours. This also allows the water to warm up a little or reach ambient temperature. I then use the python to take out 20% from the tank. Then I remove the python from the tap and attach it to a small powerhead/pump which I have sitting in the tub of dechlorinated water. Your need a power head which has the strength to raise water from floor level to the height of the tank lip - not too powerful and not too weak. You might need to get a small adaptor to put the python hose on the pump - but that is usually easy to get from a plastics or aquarium shop. Make sure you turn the pump off before you get an overflow.

Hope this helps..
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: