Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Effects of Ick Treatment on baby lyretail mollies?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koozie
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)7:23    Post subject: Effects of Ick Treatment on baby lyretail mollies? Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know if "Super Ick Cure" can hurt my baby mollies?
I am new at this fish stuff! I have some new babies in my tank and need to treat it again today because I have a platy and a lyretail mollie with the dreaded white specks. I have lost a lot of fish to ick already:( Crying or Very sad
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick should never kill fish.
If you are losing fish to Ick and your fish are still breeding then you are missing an element to their care like a heater.

For now treat the tank for Ick as most non-copper based treatments are fine for young fish.

Then post the size of your tank, how you do a wter change, how often and what kind of filter you have on the tank.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
koozie
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 10 gal tank 8/9 along with 5 fish. I hadn't a clue about the cycling phase a new tank needs to go through. Had I known I would have waited to buy fish. A couple of my fish got the white specks so I found out it was probably ick. My platy's and my molly had babies, I was afraid it would spread to my baby fish so I bought another tank...29 gal and transferred them to the new tank. I left the ick covered fish in the first tank. Then I treated the 1st tank with Super Ick Cure. The fish died anyway. The babies I transferred to the new tank died too. I did a 25% water change on the older tank. My new tank is 7 days old and I haven't done the water change yet. How much of a water change should I do with the ick cure in it? I have a heater on the new tank which I have been raising the temp slowly so not to cause more stress. It is currently at 76 degrees and I raised it some more this morning. After I treated the new tank for ick I have since had my black molly have babies. It is due to be treated again this morning with ick cure. Like I said I am new at all of this, so I feel ignorant and feel as if I am a fish murderer Evil or Very Mad Any advice given to me will be appreciated. I believe the black molly I bought was already expecting babies. How much of a water change should one do with a new tank during the cycling phase? All of this is very confusing to me. My carbon filter is out since I treated my tank, I just want to create a safe environment for my fish. Thank You So Much for replying.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

koozie wrote:
I was afraid it would spread to my baby fish so I bought another tank...29 gal and transferred them to the new tank. I left the ick covered fish in the first tank.

Smile good for you. Don't feel bad. I am ashamed to talk about my early days of fish keeping.
Water changes must be done more frequently in a new tank with aged, heated, and dechlorinated water. Use a bucket, put in your tap water, leave it over night. The next day, add the dechlor and heat it (microwve cupfulls if you don't have an extra heater to get the temp up to at least close to 76.
Add to tank before adding the Ick treatment.
Let me know how it goes.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: