Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
compatibility/breeding pair/angels
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zugzwang
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)19:51    Post subject: compatibility/breeding pair/angels Reply with quote

Hey Sherry, Cyradia, Discus Man,
I am starting a new thread with this and I hope someone can help me. I had posted a month(?) ago about my breeding pair of angels and the babies and the male who was dying.... anyway, Discus Man was right, it was swim bladder disease and can you believe the fish is now doing right as rain in a ten gal hospital tank, growing out a pelvic fin he lost while ill. Anyway, pretty soon I will have to give him more room and while he has been sick I put another two angels(one dollar sized, the other nickel) in my 36 gal with the mother. I can't get another large tank right now Sad
Where am I going to put the recovering male Exclamation
I have:
36 gal- mom angel, angel who was outgrowing the 20 I had him in and the nickel sized angel plus some bottom guys.
20 high- two large pearl gouramis and an agressive dwarf gourami- where the smaller angels in the 36 gal came from-geez they grow fast!
I guess my question is, do I move the two angels back to the 20 gal and re-introduce the male to his sweetie, and will they recognize each other or will she be po'd at his abscence? She is merciless with the smacks if she thinks you are a pushover... Rolling Eyes
Geez I guess I should have posted sooner because I am writing a book here-thanks for all your help.
Cheryl
PS The babies are just shy of dime size and what beauties they are-thanks for all your great advice. I have lost hardly any and got over 300 to choose from Laughing Now for that larger tank... Rolling Eyes
Thanks Mike for the beefheart recipe Smile
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you've got angelfish coming out of your ears!

I think I'd throw all 4 "adult" angelfish into the 36 gallon. That has no other fish in it, right? Hopefully their aggression will be minimal, and you'll just have to watch the tank carefully for good water quality. Add the male right after a big water change and if there are any decorations in the tank, move them around during the water change so that any established territories are sort of 're-set' and everybody is on equal playing grounds. Ideally, you'll get a pair to form (probably the same fish again, but I wouldn't call that a sure thing), and they won't beat on the two other angelfish too much. Good decorating of the tank can help minimize that...set-up so that the pair has an obvious mini-territory in the tank and the other two have a place to escape from. You may find that it just doesn't work and the pair's aggression is too much for the other two, in which case I think you'll have to get rid of the two unpaired fish. If you're keeping the gouramis, then I would count that tank out for any angelfish keeping.

I want pics of the babies! Go find a digital camera!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)19:24    Post subject: Arrrghhh... MORE babies Reply with quote

You were right, I have too many babies, I had the same thought you did, and moved the two out of the 20 into the 36. I was waiting a day or two to move the formerly sick male, but came home tonight to find a leaf full of EGGS! Shocked She mated with the new black dollar sized guy! They are both seemingly good parents, and I can't wait to see if the eggs are fertilized.

I put the formerly nickel, actually I looked and he's quarter sized, angel in with a 20 gallon tank of babies, and he promptly snapped up 3 of them. Now he's in with the aggressive gourami. No choice.

I'll keep you posted, and when I can sweet talk my husband into getting pictures, I'll post them.

Thank you so much for your interest in my folly and foibles with my new angel fishkeeping. Exclamation

Cheryl
zugzwang
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)21:37    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

The eggs were fertile! I have another 200 plus wrigglers and the new black male seems to be doing his job... Laughing
After the short stint in the big tank the littlest adult is holding her own with the aggressive gourami- I agree with you, they are not compatible; I won't have them in the same tank again if I can help it- just that I've had these for a long time and hope for a large show tank soon... so I am hanging on to them Rolling Eyes
I think these angels like the water Laughing
Cheryl
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: