Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Corydoras Hastatus
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnus
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)17:31    Post subject: Corydoras Hastatus Reply with quote

I finally did it. I just violated the first rule to fish keeping. I bought fish on impulse!!! I saw 8 of these guys (Tail Spot Pygmy Cory) at a store today and I just had to buy them. They were soo cute! But the problem is...I don't know the first thing about them! So now I need your help.
The store clerk said I don't have to feed them specifically since they will scavenge around the tank looking for left over food. Is this true? What do they eat? How is their water requirement? I only bough three because I'm still afraid they won't make it, but if they pull through, I'll try to get three more. I'm assuming that they like to school like other cories.
I'm trying to look up any information about them right now, so help is greatly appreciated! I'd also like to hear from anyone with experience with these guys.
BTW, they are in a 10g planted tank with 6 neon tetras, 5 amano shrimps, and 2 ottos.
Thanks,
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the smaller cories, hastatus gets around 1.2 inches, according to PlanetCatfish. Smile

They like to be in groups, so you may want to add at least 3 more.

The only problem I'd see with adding more, however, would be tank space. I know that amano shrimp get to a decent size of around 2 inches....is there another place you could put the otos?

But with water changes, you should be able to pull off at least 5. Smile

As for feeding, yes, they'll scavenge---but they should be fed just as if they were tetras and the like. Try frozen food and shrimp pellets, or just add a small bit more of your usual food, and make sure it gets to the bottom of the tank. Smile

HTH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: