Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Big post on substrates,planting and decor ;)
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plecov2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)13:12    Post subject: Big post on substrates,planting and decor ;) Reply with quote

Firstly Substrates

I have white silica sand which at my lfs is in a huge plec tank and OMG Shocked it is so cool. So silly old me thinking that as I have a new
80 L tank I can now buy the substrate for it. So I bring it home and eventually add fish and blah. But 3 weeks later and the white sand well, uh, isnt looking so white, so I add new filter pads and and buy more plants hoping
they will use it. And well to be honest it still hasn't worked but I thought , Hey!, how about some laterine mixed in or on top. So... Should
I get laterine ontop of the sand or remove and dry and clean the sand for
my hospital tand and just have laterine?
Sorry if its this is a bit unclear Rolling Eyes

Secondly Plants

I have some amazons in the tank that are doing reasonably well but not all that great and a green wendtii and a little java fern plus some cambodia. The cabodia is doing the best, second best is the java fern, third is the wendtii and last are the amazons. I forgot what my lighting is Rolling Eyes . But its a 80L Fluval Tank kit with one plant glo and one broad spectrum glo. I was thinking of adding reflectors but... would this help.
Fish are 2 skinny Sad sucking loach and a tiny clown plec. 1 male 1 female gourami and soon to be transfered 2 ballon ramerizi + 3 kuhlis. 1 fluval 2 fliter and one box jr filter with peat and aqua cotton.

Third and finnaly
For two peices of wood I have some java moss which is from a reasonabley large bundle growing on some wonder rock and has been tied down with cotton thread its been around for 15 days and no improvement. I know it can't grow so fast but I am a bit worried about it
pH - 6.9 nitritate 0.1

THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE COMMENTS
Hongi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isnt it so white anymore? I assume it's dirt and fish poo? If so you can just vaccuum it up when you do water changes. I use a garden hose and hold it just above the bottom. It picks up the poo and leaves the sand. Sometimes I'll run a gravel vac through the sand to stir it up. You should stir it up one a month to eliminate any anaerobic areas.
plecov2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish dung and as until this morning there have been no bottom feeders
to eat leftover flakes that hte gourami spit out during their eat 'n spit proces.
plecov2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have gone to my lfs and bough 1 reflector and even with peat it is so much brighter. my gourami feel scared with so much ligh so I've got more more and more cambodia and a amazon so tall
it acts with its leaves as a floating plant! now have 2 Wpg
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the white sand discoloration it can also be diatoms or alage. If you have room you may want to look into getting some corries.

As far as the gourami goes, he'll get used to it. You may want to try somehting like duckweed or thing in that family for the cover. I know some of my fish even eat the stuff.

As far as turning the sand over get some MTS. They will burrow and not hurt your plants.

With your sword you may want to try root tabs. That can help their growth. Check your nitrate, irons, and phophate levels as well. Those factors will effect plant growth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
plecov2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are MTS?

but if it help I added a clown plec moved my kuhlis to my biggist tank and
got the tablets and got 3 albino corries but still no laterite.

Edit: Combined posts - Irons.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTS=Malaysian Trumpet Snail
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reflectors direct more of the light into the tank. There is a cheaper option...
In the ballast (when power is off of course), stick some aluminium foil inside the ballast so you have a silver reflector really cheap for your light unit... Remember to not let the foil touch the lights, as apparently you will make the unit arch, and blow out.
plecov2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

kulhis burrow to Very Happy
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: