Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
expensive food?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)1:08    Post subject: expensive food? Reply with quote

I am interested in purchasing a couple of the algae-eating shrimp but I have a dilemma...I have been told that cichlids are interested in shrimp cocktail! I currently have a heavily planted 75 gallon tank and am having a bot of a prob;em with green filamentous algae as well as algae on the glass. I have a siamese algae eater and a clown pleco but they are'nt doing it for the tank. I also have a pair of small black viel angelfish as well as a pair of checkerboard cichlids along with about 35 or so neon tetras. What do you think about the chances of the cichlids having a bit o' shrimp on the barbie?
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

99%

My experience with putting these guys in my angelfish tank that is heavily planted is that they run and hide somewhere...and then I never see them again. I have no idea how long they make it before they become dinner, but I'm pretty sure I'd run into them when cleaning and re-aquascaping if they were still alive. Also, the tank is covered with glass tops, but they often manage to jump out of the tank around where the filter intakes are. I suspect that's after being chased by an angelfish. If I do ever see them again it's as little dried shrimp on the floor.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrimp= angel cocktail. I have 1 of 5 amano's that I've seen in the tank in the past 2 weeks. If it's a hair type algae, check your food for phostate levels (vitamin C). I just went through what you might be experiencing. If it's more than .5% feed mostly non-phosphate food. Such as my reciepe in DIY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: