Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ghost shrimp - quarantine
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjmdds
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)17:05    Post subject: ghost shrimp - quarantine Reply with quote

I just bought some ghost shrimp. What's a good quarantine procedure so that I don't introduce disease into my community tank?

Also, what's the difference between ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp besides the price? Don't all these little shrimps eat algae?

Thanks,

mjmdds
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost shrimp just eat spare flakes off of the bottom of the tank. No algae. It would be great if they did though. Mine always scatter up the side of the tank, grab a flake of food and shoot back down to the bottom and hang upsidedown in the plants and eat. They are very interesting to watch. The most watched thing in my tank and the cheapest are those guys. I don't know about the difference in shrimp though. About every 2 weeks they "shed' their skin or shell and it usually ends up eaten or stuck to the filter. I hade a shell stuck to my filter once and I thought it had died. But it was just the skin. I was worried. You also know when their pregnant because you can see their eggs. Really cool! Sorry I can't help on the more of the questions. ?'s Smile
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've heard that they will eat algae. However, they are scavengers and eat whatever is easiest. Mine never really touched algae. In general Amano shrimp get a little bigger and have some differnt coloring. They perfere vegatable matter, ie algae. I bought 5 about 3 weeks ago, I only see 1 now. I think the angels got to a few. I have to much algae to see if 1 or 2 amano are making a difference.

As far as quarentine goes if they are in their own tank at the store I usually don't. However, if you have a spare heated tank you can throw them in there for a week. Be sure to feed them, IIRC they are cannibals. If the tank isn't cycled that you monitor the ammonia levels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have any other shrimp in the tank, theres no need to quarantine, shrimp and fish diseases are mutually exclusive.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: