Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nearly Cycled! Which first...
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)7:08    Post subject: Nearly Cycled! Which first... Reply with quote

Hey, my tank is so close to cycling. So I have booked a trip down to my LFS in 3 days. For my tank, I am aiming for;

6'ish Male Yellow Guppies
either 1 Betta, or 1 Dwarf Gourami
And then 1 congo frog.

I have 2 questions,

My first; Which order shall I add fish. I know fish are terrortorial (sp.), and if I put say the Guppies in first, I don't want them to kill the Betta/Gourami for the tank, after I put him/her in. But if I put the B or G in before the Guppies, I don't want the B or G to fight off all the Guppies. So, which order shall I put the fish in.

My second question is, would any fish fight the congo frog for the bottom of the tank. I heard that general fish will keep the frog alone, such as the Platys/B or G. But if I get say a Pleco in the distant future, or perhaps some Cories, would these fight my frog for the bottom of the tank?

Thanks for any information.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What size is this tank?

2. What precisely is a "congo" frog? Do you have a picture? How large is it, and does it have claws?

3. Keeping guppies with bettas is usually a dangerous thing--male bettas tend not to like other lookalikes in their space.

4. Despite how pretty they look together, adding that many male guppies without any females is a recipe for disaster. Livebearer males are very sex-oriented, and without females to help relieve them, they'll also tear each other up pretty badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Barney
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Around about a 10g tank.

2. I meant an American, I think it is, it's the dwarf one, not the long clawed.

3. Well, then perhaps I'll have to go with the Gourami...

4. Thats a shame Sad I was really looking forward to them. There is about 20 in the tank with no females in the store, and none have tail nips or anything... I just guessed that these fish like to school thats why I picked 6. Perhaps I could go for say 3, and get 2 neon blue dwarf gourami's ?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

African dwarfs may work, but the only problem is feeding. Many people who keep them therefore keep them in a species tank. With some effort(such as teaching the frog to eat from a bottle where the fish can't go)...they can coexist.

If you really want a bett,a replacing the guppies with some sort of tetra may be appropriate(such as glowlights). Another possibility could be pgymy cories.
Barney
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe its African then.. lol.
I did research like 2 wks ago, when I started my cycle, now 2wks later, I've forgotten the exact name. I was thinking of using sinking pelletes to feed them? I think I saw some form of food in the store especially for frogs. Will have to check again though.

Well I may have to look at something other then the Guppies Sad Even though I love the male yellow's I saw in the store. But I wouldn't want them hurting each other. I'm not really a fan of Tetra's.

You mentioned Pgymy Cories, are these fine with the african dwarf frog ?
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I week I feed my african dwarf frogs frozen blood worms which sink right to the bottom so they get food. The other days I have a stick for african frogs which sinks so they get fed. You can get it at wal-mart or ask any LFS. I never really had a problem with my male guppies fighting but they are very fragile and don't do well with dramatic change. If you want yellow go with fancy snakeskin guppies. they have yellow tails with a snakeskin black pattern. Around here they are about 3 bucks a piece and like I said don't do well with change so can die easily and cost you a lot of money. I think that a single male dwarf gourami would be good because the beta might fight with guppies like written a couple posts up. But uh, ten gallons isn't that much for a lot of fish. don't go with more than one gourami of any type.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: