Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue Ram Info please!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)21:12    Post subject: Blue Ram Info please! Reply with quote

I think blue rams are beautiful and since I only have a 29 gallon tank I thought they would be a good cichlid to start with. I want to build around them so can you guys tell me what other fish go well with them. I hear they are almost a community fish. Someone told me they do well wit tetras and or angelfish. What do you guys think?

Also, I really want to get some paradisefish. They are so cute. would they do well with rams?

My tank is cycled and currently hold two auratus and two jewel cichlids which I found out were WAY incompatable and too big for my tank so I will be returning them and getting something smaller. I have three huge rock formations with holes to swim through, two artificial amazond sword plants and black gravel. there are also a few foreground plants that are green with red tips. I don't know the name though. They are also fake. The tank is currently 79 degrees. What changes do I have to make to get blue rams and other fish. I am buying some 18 inch background plants for the tank to get some color and more of a natural look. Any info is appritiated. Thanks! Smile
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)0:55    Post subject: rams Reply with quote

I know exactly what you're saying as far as rams being beautiful. They are the fish that got me interested in freshwater after being a saltwater freak for a long time. They have amazing personalities also. They are one of the harder fish to keep alive for very long, but they are worth trying.

As far as a community fish, they are excellent. They act tough, but that's all it is, an act. (I guess in a breeding situation they could get a little nasty, but not one individual.) If none of the fish with it are more aggressive than they are they will rule the tank with a velvet glove, pushing the other fish around, but never hurting anyone. DO NOT under ANY circumstances put ANY africans with them!!!(well maybe a krib in a well planted tank, but not the typical mbuna) Tetras are good; neons, rummynose, and cardinal tetras are good small schoolers. In bigger tanks a big school of congo or bloodfin's is cool. Angels are good, but you'll need a bigger tank if you want more than one. One might even be to much in the long haul; they get pretty big, and it's from top to bottom, not front to back, so taller is better. Ditto on discus. Actually, rams and discus have pretty much the same water requirements, and in the right situations get along well. If the tank is big enough with enough cover (plants, real or fake) there are some cool apistogramma sp. out there worth checking out. Single males might spar among the plants, but it's usually harmless with enough cover. The rams fall into pretty much the same catagory as the apisto's; they were origionally considered apisto's before they were classified as microgeophagus, or is it papliochromis now? Whatever...

As far as water is considered, think discus parameters. Warm (82-86 f), soft (not sure on numbers, but mixing dechlor'ed tap with RODI water seems to work.) and on the acidic side (some uncoated driftwood and/or some form of peat in your filtration. These will turn your water a tea color, but hey, they're considered "blackwater" fish!)

OK I'll shut up now...

fishdude
SuperDave9x19
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise fish are excellent fish.
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Rams in my 55g community tank. I have a general mix of fish, and the Rams get along with everyother fish in the tank. And by far the Rams are the jewels, the stars, of the tank. They truely standout...they're beautiful.
I have:
fish:
2 blue rams
3 Bala's (soon going to a 125g)
2 ropefish
3 platy's
2 blue dwarf gourami's
3 pineapple swordtails
5 cory's
3 clown loaches (also moving to 125g)
3 glass catfish
1 pleco
plants:
Millfoil
swords
banana plants
wisteria

Last edited by Dylacat on 2003.09.07(Sun)11:03; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as water is considered, think discus parameters. Warm (82-86 f), soft (not sure on numbers, but mixing dechlor'ed tap with RODI water seems to work.) and on the acidic side (some uncoated driftwood and/or some form of peat in your filtration. These will turn your water a tea color, but hey, they're considered "blackwater" fish!)

Good quote Fishdude.

Well first things first.

What is your waters parameters for KH, GH and pH and NO3?

don't put Kribs in with them.

No more than 2 fish in a 30G - otherwise they will kill each other
1 male and 2 female (male orange head, orange fins, sloid black spot)
(Female, whiter fins, pink belly, dots within the black spot, )

They require low NO3, low KH and GH to thrive.

They like loads of new water in their tank also.

Tetras and angels are fine.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise fish are my one of my favorite fish(also a rather special one for me, the first egglayer I bred). But I think you will have to make a choice between the two, especially if you want baby rams(thats what I'm assuming by a pair). Paradise fish are very quick to make lunch out of small, midwater fish, which are usually tolerated by rams. I've managed to raise some tiny rosy reds with them, and only lost 5 or so......so its better to be on the safe side
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: