Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish food...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)9:56    Post subject: Fish food... Reply with quote

In case you haven't read my topic on my battle with hair algae, here's a breif synopsis. Hair algae likes phosphates, my staple dry food contains on less than 1.5% phosphates as a source of vitamin C. Here is my VERY LOVED new homemade food. I personaly think it's the garlic that makes it popular with my fish.

Ingredients:
1 rather small zucinni, about a dozen long beans, 1/2 cup of frozen peas (warmed), 1oz of frozen brine shrimp, 1/2oz of frozen blood worm, 1 tablespoon of frozen prawn, 2 tablespoon of freeze dried daphnia, 3 Spirulina waffers (Wardley), 4 cubes of left over BBS, and 1 small clove of garlic.

Throw ingrediants into blender until the food is small enough for your smallest fish. Spoon enough into the bottom of ice cube trays to cover the bottom curve. Let harden. Chop in to quarters. Place in freezer bag. Makes enough for my fish to last about 3 weeks.

I will also be experimenting with whole supermarket shrimp, spirulina powder/capsules, cooked and raw salmon, and various worms. As well as a natural (plant matter) congelants and baking for a flake or granual.

Last edited by Irons on 2003.09.13(Sat)6:02; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds healthy, and you know what you're giving your fish too!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try making the salmon this week, but I'll see how it goes. This weeks production is salsa!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how long this reply will last, Irons, but there's a great avatar picture of you here Very Happy

Cheers! (or should that be Sk
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.. I should see if I can get permission to use it.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Re: Fish food... Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
Makes enough for my fish to last about 3 weeks.

Three weeks is great to know, but I don't know how many fish you have to feed. Wink Smile *lol* A little help on this?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently am in posession of:

10 mbuna, 1 creek shiner, 1 male betta, 6 angels, 2 irridecences, 2 silver dollars, 1 albino buenos aries, 2 phantom tetra's, 8 cardnials, 1 pleco (unknown species), 6 corries and a blue gourami. Their food is supplimented by flake, but no more than 20% of the diet.

Once the dollars, "sharks", buenoes and pleco I'll probably get close to a month out of them. I feed the 75 tank about 1 -1.5 full blocks a day.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That cleared it up for me... Smile
quaCk quaCk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

do I have to thaw the ice 1st ? or just dump it in the tank ?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.12(Fri)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put any ice in. just throw it in the freezer. One it starts to harden I cut it and put in bags. To feed I just throw it in the tank. It floats pretty nice. The angels peck at it as it starts to thaw. I put a whole uncut piece in today and the tank looked like a snow globe. hehehe...
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: