Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone have any experience with Tetra EasyBalance?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kieron
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)4:57    Post subject: Anyone have any experience with Tetra EasyBalance? Reply with quote

I saw Tetra EasyBalance on the web and wondered had anyone had any experience with it.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not have any direct experince with the product, I personally stay away from any additive in a bottle if I can. Especially ones that claim to make less work for me. While it is true that may reduce your phosphates and nitrates, there by reducing food for algae, you have to ask yourself where are they going? What are they being turned into? What else is it adding to your waters chemistry? A good example, is search here to see what Proper pH or similar products do to your water.

This particular quote concerns me:
Quote:
Plus, by keeping the water fresher for longer - up to six months, in fact - Easybalance reduces the frequency of water changes. This, in turn, reduces the stress to the fish making them healthier and far less likely to succumb to disease.
- http://www.tetraeasybalance.co.uk

On the other hand, hopefully someone here will have direct experince to give you first hand information.
The reason I don't like this quote is it implies that water changes are bad for your fishes health. I have yet to see a fish of mine weakened, diseased or killed from a water change. Water change if done properly are good for you aquarium. While we can't redirect a stream through our living room, this is the next best thing. It allows you to remove excess wastes, spent nutrients and their by products. As well as add back in fresh water, fresh trace elements, and lower the concentrations of what else is is building up in the tank.

To me this sounds like a product designed to sell to the general public that does not or does not know how to properly maintain and care for their fish. Definatly, not towards the Hobbiest community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use it myself for a while, as part of a trial on products some of us were doing at the LFS where I work, and as far as I saw, it did just about nothing.

however, what I do recommend it for is for when you go on holiday, since when your at home you can watch the fish and do something if something goes wrong, it's really snake oil, when your on holiday I swear by the stuff.

it helps keep the pH in balance, adds a few bits and bobs to the water, all of which a water change would do, but which very few of us can convince a sitter to do Laughing

so really, it just gives that extra bit of security that I like to have while I'm away, but apart from that, maybe it goes well with martini? Wink
Jak Crow
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother using it for what it says to use it for. However, what it IS good for is locking the pH. I'll use it whenever I do a significant water change and the pH doesn't budge from 7.0 even with driftwood in the tank.
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do second that, thats probably the one thing it seems to do well...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: